Fiddle Leaf Fig Browning on Leaves

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone,

New to the forum. I have a fiddle I bought about a month ago. I repotted it, placed a growth light and have been watering it about once a week. I have bottom watered, cleaned the leaves with been oil and fertilized it when I first repotted it. I have leaves that are browning. When I initially repotted it and brought it into my apartment I never lost leaves. Those new leaves on top just sprouted within the last week. I can’t seem to pinpoint why I have browning on the bottom leaves. Any tips or advice on how to go about making sure I don’t kill this thing? Thank you!

IMG_8628.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_8623.jpeg
    IMG_8623.jpeg
    198.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8622.jpeg
    IMG_8622.jpeg
    239.1 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8624.jpeg
    IMG_8624.jpeg
    192.9 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_8625.jpeg
    IMG_8625.jpeg
    191.5 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG_8627.jpeg
    IMG_8627.jpeg
    243.9 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Country
United States
Also for clarification, I overwatered it once since I bottom watered it and top watered it and the pan under overfilled. So I know it has good drainage.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Does it usually overflow when you water it?
It's only been a month so it is still adjusting to it's new home. The browning is probably related to something from just before or just after you got it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Does it usually overflow when you water it?
It's only been a month so it is still adjusting to it's new home. The browning is probably related to something from just before or just after you got it.
No, only the one time a few weeks back when I bottom and top watered it too much. I usually bottom water, let it drain on a towel, then top water it a little

Reaction score
Country
United States
Don't bottom water your ficus, instead, use a drain tray and top water until you get a tiny amount of run-off. Keep the run-off to a minimum and don't let your plant set in run-off water. Let the top inch or two dry well before watering. Ficus likes water but they like dry time too.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
For sure raise the humidity. You can find reasonably priced small humidifiers on Amazon :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Ficus like it dry and not wet all the time, so don't keep the soil wet or your leaves will bronze around the edges. Heres what google says,
Water every 5 to 7days. The Ficus plant prefers to dry out some between watering, but do not let the soil completely dry out. We recommend that you water your tree every 5 to 7 days, or when the top inch of soil is dry. If you decide to place your plant outside as a patio plant, it will need a more frequent watering schedule. Google

Ask a Question