Fiddle Leaf fig support/pruning/growing help

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello! I’m not sure if this belongs in the tree section or the indoor section because it’s a bit of both, but here we go.

I have a fiddle leaf fig tree I need some help with. He’s growing a bit awkwardly and has outgrown his supports. I am very inexperienced with pruning/supporting young trees and I am not sure of the best course of action. How do I make him grow sturdier and appealing to the eye?

I tried to get some photos of how he is growing. Any advice?

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
The stems look good and straight. To get the leaves more balanced, you can turn the pot a quarter turn a week. This will give it light from all sides and they won't flop so much. You can put longer stakes in if you want to keep it growing straight up.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks good, looks like I have the same "double" trunk look you have. Does anyone have a Comment on whether or not to take the large side branch off and only have one main trunk?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Looks good, looks like I have the same "double" trunk look you have. Does anyone have a Comment on whether or not to take the large side branch off and only have one main trunk?
Sorry here is my picture of the trunk

Attachments

• 20221213_104925.jpg
    20221213_104925.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 6
  • 20221213_104844.jpg
    20221213_104844.jpg
    122.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I would cut the second trunk about halfway down and turn it into another branch. Since it will never be as big as it wants to be and will spend its life indoors, you can make it be any shape you want. I personally prefer a bushy look for them. Unless you have an enormous foyer or enclosed atrium.

Ask a Question