Fiddle Leaf - Massive Leaf Drop

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Friends, I am hoping for some help with my fiddle leaf which has lost about half it's leaves in the past 4 weeks. Some notes:
  • Around 7 feet tall and has been in the same location for 2.5 years (Northeast exposure in Chicago)
  • Started losing leaves when it turned fall, a few at first and now several a day
  • Around the same time my dog nosed into the dirt and got a small part of a rot (I nearly cried :()
  • With in the last year it seemingly has flourished, this spring it grew tons of new leaves and this summer it fruited
  • In the pictures are the most recent leaf to fall and the full plant
  • The leaves seem to turn darker green from the edges and then eventually fall off
Any help would be very much appreciated! I really thought I had figured this lady out and now she has stumped me and nothing I do seems to stop the loss.

Attachments

• Fig1.jpg
    Fig1.jpg
    93.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Fig2.jpg
    Fig2.jpg
    29.3 KB · Views: 4
  • Fig3.jpg
    Fig3.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 7
  • Fig4.jpg
    Fig4.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 6
  • Fig5.jpg
    Fig5.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Depending on the size and location of the root, that could be a major factor. How thick and long was it? As long as it has been in that spot, the lighting is good. Did it get extra dry prior to the leaf-drop? It may still be reacting to the root loss.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Oh thank you! It didn't get dry though it is possible it was overwatered by an eager to help visitor :) The root was about as thick as the little end of a chop stick and he got about 2 inches of it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
AHHH, the over-eager visitor! :rolleyes:That pretty much explains it. Give it time and more appropriate watering and it will recover. It will just take time.;)

Reaction score
Country
United States
can I say something? I think it might be because it’s too close too the window, that also plays a factor. I have a pepper plant that I put too close to the window, and the leaves wilted, so long story short, I cut off his leaves, now he is bald.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Try watering it very thoroughly and checking every other day. Sometimes the intensity of light can cause them to dry out fast. Also, if the plant is big for the pot it can dry faster too.

Reaction score
Country
United States
I really appreciate everyone's help here! I have a new mystery to add. I worried about root rot after it lost half its leaves, so changed the soil and repotted. It continued to loss nearly the rest of the leaves - holding on to just 1 single leaf!!!! I had figured it was dead.

Now it is budding new leaves! This feels crazy! I would love to nuture it back to health but any advice on how to support this new growth?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
If you removed most or all of the original soil the stress from that probably caused the leaf drop. You are lucky it survived. Now keep it moist but not soggy and it may return to its former glory.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Now just leave it alone and allow the plant to adjust to the old leaf drop by growing new ones. . Keep us posted if it doesn't get better let us know.

Ask a Question