Why did my fiddle leaf drop 10 leaves in 1 week?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi friends, major help needed for a new plant mom!

In 1 week, 10 leaves dropped! No new budding for the last 3 months. Some of the leaves were still green. The other problematic ones are pictured.
  • bought the plant 2.5 months ago
  • 3 ft tall, 11 inch pot
  • BUGS: I saw spider webs around the roots so repotted the plant. Then started seeing Fungus ghats in my bedroom so I have been around for about 2 weeks so I started a Neem Oil treatment for the past 2 weeks for all my plants. I noticed that in the soil, there is thin silvery black flying insects burrowing around. Also saw a worm.
  • repotted for the first time 6 weeks ago but saw the bugs in the soil still after that. No root rot
  • in NYC, air conditioned bed room
  • 4 feet from a North East facing window
  • regular potting soil in plastic pot with drainage hole -top watering when very dry soil and no fertilizer
MAY 2022

20220627_170942.jpg

NOW, JULY 2022 after massive droppings

20220715_184800.jpg

Leaves Dropped

20220711_094806.jpg
20220707_191919.jpg
20220702_172047.jpg

CURRENT LEAVES CLOSE UP
20220715_184334.jpg
20220715_184539.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It needs more light. If you look at the lower stem, you can see leaf scars that are further apart than the ones at the top. Those leaves were spread out because the plant was growing fast; probably in brighter, warmer conditions than where it is now.
When you repotted it, did you remove soil or just put it in a bigger pot with fresh soil around the original rootball? if you removed soil, you also removed roots and stressed the plant. This can also cause leaf drop.
The silvery black flying insects are Fungus Gnats. Keep treating for them. To help control them, water thoroughly and then let it dry down about 1-1 1/2". When you water make sure it is thoroughly soaked.
The brown spot in the last picture is from the leaf bending at some time. Don't worry about it.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Do you know the Fiddle Leaf Ficus is a temperamental plant, and I find that if I move it, or when I bring a new plant home, it will go through a period of stress.

Therefore, I always place it in a quiet room with minimal movement and good lighting to settle. I feel there is less sunlight, no doubt your plant is near by window but I think still it couldn't consume the proper sunlight.

Stronger plants adapt better to a new placement, but new plants can quickly shed leaves and die.

Last edited:

Ask a Question