Did it rain?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi Fellow Gardeners,
I just put raised bed planters in my backyard and planted vegetables. I am a nurse and I work long shifts away from home, often being gone for 15-20 hours at a time. I put my seeds in the ground on 10/30/21 (Collards, Brussels sprouts, Lettuce, Onion Broccoli, Carrots), I have gently watered them daily being careful to not over water them, I do not want the seeds to rot before they can germinate. I have two back to back 12 hour shifts coming up and I see that we are going to have a complete day of rain on one of those days so I am cutting visqueen/plastic to lay across the top of my chicken wire plant covers so that they do not get any rain, that way I can regulate how much water they get. If I was going to be home I would allow them to get some of the rain but I will not be here to watch over it. In thinking about all of this I got to wondering, for someone like me who wants to be a farmer but has to go work in a hospital to make a living causing me to be away from my garden for extended periods, is there a way for me to know how much rainfall was received on any given day? Obviously a rain gauge, but I got to wondering about potential apps or websites that would be able to tell me based on GPS/satellite, Longitude/latitude, etc.. I figured if anyone would know it would be the folks on a gardening forum. (I live alone so I cannot ask a household member to help or report on the weather). Thank you for any advice :)
Karen

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings welcome to the Forums.

Visit the National Weather Service website. Your local weather recording stations likely measure rain. Also get an inexpensive rain gauge. There are ones designed like hollow plastic stakes that you can place in an open area of your garden to get some idea of what your garden receives.

Ask a Question