Didn't See This Coming

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi, Gardening Pals,

My split leaf philodendron has been in the same pot for the last two years and it had done well for the most part until a recent new leaf did not fully develop as the others did. It's green and it appears to be alive, but it has drooped from day one and no matter how much I water and fertilize, it doesn't change its position. Now a new leaf is springing from that stem and it tends to be unfolding slower than what I've seen and thus I'm wondering if it's going to produce the same results.

She gets plenty of indirect light and I try not to under or over water, but keep her moist. Have any of you ever had this happen? If so, do you know the cause and what was your remedy? Thanks loads.

Attachments

• Vintage Pot.JPG
    Vintage Pot.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 88
  • Beaty.JPG
    Beaty.JPG
    120.6 KB · Views: 93
  • Undeveloped.JPG
    Undeveloped.JPG
    65.6 KB · Views: 88
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe you are watering too much. These plants like to dry out a bit during waterings, and sometimes you can kill a plant by kindness! It is working very hard at the moment to produce new growth, and if I were you I`d just let it get on with the job. If you consider repotting it, it would be best to leave it until the dormant season (winter) when it would be a good idea to use a bigger pot, and give it a top dressing ready for next summer.

Reaction score
Country
United States
@Palmlin , Hello

I can suggest this fresh thread. https://www.gardening-forums.com/threads/philodendron-hope-wet-mushy-leaf.19762/
If you want, You can read the article I mentioned in the response to that other thread, maybe you'll find the answer there.

I personally have never heard of a philodendron behaving that way.
Do let us know your final conclusion.

Hi, Yinon and thank you. Ironically, I read the thread and article before posting my inquiry. It was a good article but it didn't apply to my situation, unfortunately.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe you are watering too much. These plants like to dry out a bit during waterings, and sometimes you can kill a plant by kindness! It is working very hard at the moment to produce new growth, and if I were you I`d just let it get on with the job. If you consider repotting it, it would be best to leave it until the dormant season (winter) when it would be a good idea to use a bigger pot, and give it a top dressing ready for next summer.

Hi Tetters, note and thank you.

Ask a Question