Did I buy the correct straw? (pic)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

first time poster here,

I bought a bale of straw at the gardening center. It was clear when I asked for it that it was for mulching. This is a local gardening center and pretty knowledgeable staff.

However, I am concerned about all the seeds in it. The seeds do not seem to be extracted and each seem to be intact. Please see image below. There are countless of these (looks like wheat grains) in the straw bale.

The straw is yellow, totally dry. Will these seeds produces plants that I have to pull like weeds? Thanks!
IMG_1696.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b/6a
Country
United States
In my limited experience yes, it'll form little clumps of grass. I'm interested what others have to say about this as well because I'd like to be able to use straw without that issue.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The straw/hay growers normally do not let the plant grow to a viable seed stage, but, you just never know for sure. If the actual seeds appear to be mature seeds I would try to start some of the seeds in a paper towel before taking a chance.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hard to tell for sure but, if that is straw rather than hay, it looks as though it has been threshed and all the grain removed already. Chucks idea of trying to start some separately is a good way to be certain though.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks guys!

I called the store back and talked to a lady there who says she uses that particular straw in her garden as mulch every year and there isn't a big problem of seeding.

I chopped it up and put some in one of my small beds already. We will see what happens!

Ask a Question