A tree did fall... in my front yard...

Reaction score
Country
United States
I had a 3 story Yucca tree fall during the rains last December. The trunk was partially rotted and smells. What you see are the before and after pictures. It's been 2 months and what's left is still wet. I was wondering if this could cause disease to the sorrounding vegetation and if there is a way to make it dry faster? Would Magnesium salts make it dry? I was also wondering if the wood dries, would it make good mulch or could it have those diseases even when it dries?

20201019_132124-01.jpeg
DSC_0048.JPG

Reaction score
Country
United States
What a beautiful tree. It looks like Tropical Yucca (Yucca gigantea, formerly Yucca elephantipes). Those diagonal lines on the trunk may have already been evidence of injury or rot. This was an exceptionally large specimen. Do you know how old it was?

Most fungi that cause tree rots are already widespread in the environment and often they only move in after the tree is already weak or injured. Such fungi are always in the soil and always will be. I would use the mulch from such a tree in my garden.

Of course, there are times when a new and virulent pathogen is causing an epidemic For example Sudden Oak Death (Phythophthora ramorum). In those case attempts are made to limit the spread of the pathogen,or at least slow the spread.

The first case is much more common than the latter. The answer is not to sterilize the environment but to give trees proper care so they stay healthy, as long as they can. Even trees reach old age, becoming too large sustain themselves. The average and ultimate possible size and age of a tree will vary by species and environment. In most cases, the oldest known specimen of a species is not the same as the largest known specimen.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
@Marck LOL! I did not find this tree beautiful and am glad it's gone! Beauty is truly in the eye of the beholder! I don't know how old it was. Maybe as old as the house (early 70s).

The diagonal lines were caused by Ivy that had crawled up the tree which you can see evidence of on the upper portions of the tree in the first picture. I had killed this ivy and removed as much as I could because it had caused problems in the fence that divides the properties, as well as was housing mice.

Thanks for the info!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, tree Yucca do get often larger than there originally allotted and expected space, but I do like their height and the sense of grandeur the give xeric (dryland) gardens. I'm glad there are few basal branches left behind. if you thinking about new landscaping options for that bed consider adding a mix of Aloe, Agave, cacti, and other succulents. A well-done succulent-dominated garden bed can become a kaleidoscopic array of different colors, textures, and shapes.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Yes, tree Yucca do get often larger than there originally allotted and expected space, but I do like their height and the sense of grandeur the give xeric (dryland) gardens. I'm glad there are few basal branches left behind. if you thinking about new landscaping options for that bed consider adding a mix of Aloe, Agave, cacti, and other succulents. A well-done succulent-dominated garden bed can become a kaleidoscopic array of different colors, textures, and shapes.
It's funny you mention those plants. All are or were present at my property when I bought it. All of it was overgrown, much of it over-watered. I don't particularly like desert plants, despite how little water they use so I have been chopping away and removing much of it. There is a Jade plant and some foxtails that I plan on keeping, but will stay in one corner of the property, as I work through and bring a new design back!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Another great option for gardens in southern California, and the most drought-tolerant one, is to plant California native plants. There is a wide variety of interesting shrubs and perennials native to the chaparral and coastal scrub in San Diego, and many more from Mexico and the rest of southern California. Yes. some of them are succulents too, but most are not. If the main reason you dislike succulents is the spines and thorns, you might just avoid the spiny ones, like Agave and cacti.

Ask a Question