Apple tree pruning

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, I think I may have overdone it on pruning these apple trees, my main aim was to reduce the height, I know I’d have to sacrifice fruit for maybe a few years, will this be covered in water shoots come summer? If so, do I then thin these out and leave it the following winter ? Hoping I’ve not murdered it !
Quite technical stuff, any advice would be welcome

Attachments

• 5178E8EB-BAB0-416B-B4A7-8CA1CBEE188E.jpeg
    5178E8EB-BAB0-416B-B4A7-8CA1CBEE188E.jpeg
    409.6 KB · Views: 19
  • 63FAD3F0-954D-4CA3-9A11-7C37E14ED554.jpeg
    63FAD3F0-954D-4CA3-9A11-7C37E14ED554.jpeg
    305 KB · Views: 25
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
It looks like it needed it, the received wisdom is that a pigeon should be able to fly through it. I can't imagine you have killed it, it takes a lot to do for a tree that size, and the usual reaction to pruning is 'Something is happening to me, quick reproduce.' which means more flower and fruit, not less, that's why it is done. No point worrying now, wait and see what happens, but my guess is a good outcome.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes, I think they will recover well, but please do post more pics in late Spring or early Summer. It would be good to see how they actually do leaf out and begin to rebranch. Do you know which cultivars of apple (Malus domestica) your trees are?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Yes, I think they will recover well, but please do post more pics in late Spring or early Summer. It would be good to see how they actually do leaf out and begin to rebranch. Do you know which cultivars of apple (Malus domestica) your trees are?
Cheers yes I will do, I’ve no idea which variety they are unfortunately.

Ask a Question