Growing a lone cherry tree

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some advice in growing a lone cherry tree. Our 8 month young puppy has died and in memory of her we want to plant a cherry tree that will blossom some beautiful pink flowers. I live in Scotland so the weather can get pretty wet and cold. From the research I have done it says that most cherry trees like to grow in pairs which we don’t want. We don’t care if the tree produces a lot of fruit, we just want pretty flowers for our little girl.

What’s the best time to plant the tree?
Will it still grow flowers without a pollinating partner?
What type of cherry tree should I get for scotlands conditions?

Thank you all,

Kamil

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

Now is the time to plant bare-root trees. A Cherry (Prunus spp.) tree in a container could be planted at any time of year.

Flowers will be produced, regardless of the presence or absence of other trees.
It is fruit production that benefits from cross-pollination between trees.
The two most commonly grown fruit-producing cherry species are Sweet Cherry (Prunus avium) and Sour Cherry (Prunus cerasus).
The former is usually eaten fresh or baked, sometimes without additional sugar, while the latter is used for making sweetened syrups and preserves. There are numerous cultivars of each.

The climate conditions in most parts of Scotland are amenable to most types of Cherries.
In general, most cherries will want full sun, well-draining soil, and regular water.
Special situations, such as an area with constant wind would present additional challenges.

If you are not interested in fruit production, you might consider one of the many types of ornamental Cherries that have been selected for their floral display and other aesthetic features. The ornamental cherries of Japan are justly famous, but there are other types as well.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have a single cherry and it is pretty big. The only thing is here in the Southeast USA it flowers first and loses leaves first, like in August.

Attachments

• 16438282215401308205600327274212.jpg
    16438282215401308205600327274212.jpg
    205.7 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

Ask a Question