How do I revitalize my White Bird of Paradise? Why did its leaf edges shrivel up?

Reaction score
Country
China
Pls compare the 2 pictures below of my Strelitzia nicolai. What's wrong with the leaves? How do I rejuvenate it?

LEFT PIC
— plant when I bought it from store in Guangzhou, China. The leaf edges were unfurled, unfolded, unraveled, arched up, and flat. They open out, stretch out and up, curve up.

RIGHT PICNow the leaf edges have furled, curled up, folded up, crimped, and scrumpled. And the leaves have discolored and become less green! Plant is still in Guangzhou where I live.

0UD47fZ[1].jpg

Reaction score
Country
United States
Greetings, welcome to the Forums.

The Giant or White Bird-of-Pardise (Strelitzia nicolai and related species) is native to southern tropical Africa. It wants bright light and usually does best in full or partial sun. It also wants regular water with good drainage and will benefit from regular fertilizer application when grown in a container.

The first thing to investigate is the drainage situation. Does the soil and container drain well? Poor drainage and over watering are the most common causes of house-plant demise.

Ask a Question