watermelon, help?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I've recently started my first decent size garden. I planted some watermelon and I think my boyfriend may have over watered it. It's been several weeks and I still haven't seen anything starting through the soil. Does anyone have any advice? Is it safe to say they are no good and plant some new seeds? If a plant gets over watered is there any way to solve this problem?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I've recently started my first decent size garden. I planted some watermelon and I think my boyfriend may have over watered it. It's been several weeks and I still haven't seen anything starting through the soil. Does anyone have any advice? Is it safe to say they are no good and plant some new seeds? If a plant gets over watered is there any way to solve this problem?
First of all why don't you update and let us know where you live? If you planted wartermelon seeds a few weeks ago you planted them WAAAAY to early. They are now without doubt rotted because the soil was too cold for them to germinate. The optimum soil temperature for watermelons is about 90F but they will germinate in soil of about 60F. The plants won't grow much but the seeds at least germinate.

Reaction score
Country
Canada
If it was too early to plant and the soil was still cold, as @Chuck advised they're probably rotten. Let's say the soil wasn't cold and your boyfriend may have over-watered them, leave them alone for a bit. You don't need to water a garden twice a day, every day. Heck you don't even need to water it daily. I'd say a good soaking once or twice a week is sufficient depending on how dry/wet your soil is. I always check before I water, if there's moisture, I leave it. As an example, I'm growing peas, onions, carrots and tomatoes. I certainly do not water them daily and quite frankly my peas are out of control, the carrots looks like they're growing more than they normally would at this time of year and the onions are doing great as well. As for the tomatoes, I thought for sure they wouldn't grow but I see some plants starting to sprout up finally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I live in Oklahoma. The weather is plenty warm. I do think my boyfriend over watered them, and I explained to him how it works. I don't think he will be over watering again. We have planted as kids way earlier in the year and had successful watermelon.. I just thought maybe he drowned them?

Ask a Question