Heathy to dead Grapes in 2-weeks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks Meadowlark - wish I knew all this before I bought the Victoria Reds - I believe one of my posts was the inspiration for you to buy yours from Double-A.

Fact is, I have cancer and of course, don't know how much time is left. I just wanted some greenery and a few handfuls of grapes to eat. Starting over again next spring is depressing. Double-A made it sound like no-problem in Texas... Cheap lesson but geez this is ridiculous - not to mention sending them many photos trying to figure out what was going on and being interrogated about anyone spraying weed-killer. I had an experience with weed killer near my Carolina Reapers so not like I would ever make that stupid mistake again.

One photo here and bam - looked it up - same exact condition...

Your vines look great.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Yes, ZM, your post was the inspiration for my planting the Victoria Red. I'd give mine less than 50% chance of making it this summer, but will try again if possible/required next winter. I didn't want to wait but knew the chances were low this late.

I also share your "don't know how much time is left" but regardless I figure someone will enjoy the benefit of some great grapes even if it isn't me.

Check out the RazzMatazz...it sure is an interesting grape for Texas but I can't swear to its long term survivability.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I think I am going to stick with my solitary Muscadine for the foreseeable future. I'll have to wait till next spring for Tractor Supply to have vines again - but now I know why they only had Muscadines...

I was thinking the same thing about others enjoying the benefits of the grapes.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States

They are pricey. The first year they will not tolerate drying out. I have a sandy loam soil and don't know about clay for them, sorry.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you - I saw Gurney's but wanted to be sure before doing anything - Maybe I will try growing in a half wine-barrel...

[Edit] I phoned Gurney's to ask a few questions about the RazzMatazz - someone in the Philippines answered the phone. I hung up.

Hard to believe that even a nursery would outsource an American job to put a few more American pennies in his pocket. I'll wait till next spring and buy some Muscadines from Tractor Supply.

Last edited:

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Of course it depends on rain and whether the vines are established or not.

For established vines, weekly to a depth of about 12 inches. Less after fruit set.

For new vines, I like to hit them three times a week during summer...they just don't do well without water until they get that root system well established.

I've had some summers with old, well established vines in which I didn't water at all and they did fine...but new vines are different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, sir. I've been hesitatnt t water the muscadine because of the "they don't like wet feet" thing Double-A laid on me. I am pretty sure I have been under-watering...

I will give it a good soak tomorrow.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Reminder I have sandy loam soil...your clay may retain water much more and hence require less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reminder I have sandy loam soil...your clay may retain water much more and hence require less.

Yes sir, I figured that - I am going to try once a week if no significant rainfall in between. The reason I asked is because I definately notice the vine looks better after each heavy rain.

Totally new to all this - your help is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just about all of Texas is a bad place to grow grapes because of Pierces disease. Victoria Red is a variety, a Texas Superstar variety that is supposed to be resistant to this disease but being resistant and foolproof are two different things. Perhaps the vector of this disease, the sharpshooter insect, has evolved into spreading a different strain of this disease. I don't know, but your picture shows a perfect example of Pierces disease.

I looked and looked for this post - forgot where this conversation took place.

If you can believe this, the vine in the photo is actually growing - kinda bush-like is the only descriptive I can think of just now, but its alive! I will take a photo tomorrow and post but glad I found this thread. I will wait til after a photo but I'm thinking just leave it alone until its a little taller...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
ZM
Our muscadines do well in our clay, which is acidic. I add some lime from time to time, if I remember, and fertilize in the spring and fall. When we put ours out 20 years ago, someone showed a trellis with a wire cable strung atop 2 garden timbers. It works but I like the horizontal flat wire better. We will reset ours this year as the timbers are rotting now, and one failed this spring. I am glad to have read this thread and learn about razzmatazz and see the other setups. I will add a pic of our 4 vines when the light comes up.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Victoria Red - lives! I am just going to leave it alone, for now.

Attachments

• Victoria Red Alive.jpg
    Victoria Red Alive.jpg
    329.4 KB · Views: 136

Ask a Question