Heathy to dead Grapes in 2-weeks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you - I saw Gurney's but wanted to be sure before doing anything - Maybe I will try growing in a half wine-barrel...

[Edit] I phoned Gurney's to ask a few questions about the RazzMatazz - someone in the Philippines answered the phone. I hung up.

Hard to believe that even a nursery would outsource an American job to put a few more American pennies in his pocket. I'll wait till next spring and buy some Muscadines from Tractor Supply.

Last edited:
Ad

Advertisements

Meadowlark

Gardner, Angler, Adjunct Professor, and Rancher
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Of course it depends on rain and whether the vines are established or not.

For established vines, weekly to a depth of about 12 inches. Less after fruit set.

For new vines, I like to hit them three times a week during summer...they just don't do well without water until they get that root system well established.

I've had some summers with old, well established vines in which I didn't water at all and they did fine...but new vines are different.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thank you, sir. I've been hesitatnt t water the muscadine because of the "they don't like wet feet" thing Double-A laid on me. I am pretty sure I have been under-watering...

I will give it a good soak tomorrow.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Reminder I have sandy loam soil...your clay may retain water much more and hence require less.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Reminder I have sandy loam soil...your clay may retain water much more and hence require less.
Yes sir, I figured that - I am going to try once a week if no significant rainfall in between. The reason I asked is because I definately notice the vine looks better after each heavy rain.

Totally new to all this - your help is very much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Just about all of Texas is a bad place to grow grapes because of Pierces disease. Victoria Red is a variety, a Texas Superstar variety that is supposed to be resistant to this disease but being resistant and foolproof are two different things. Perhaps the vector of this disease, the sharpshooter insect, has evolved into spreading a different strain of this disease. I don't know, but your picture shows a perfect example of Pierces disease.
I looked and looked for this post - forgot where this conversation took place.

If you can believe this, the vine in the photo is actually growing - kinda bush-like is the only descriptive I can think of just now, but its alive! I will take a photo tomorrow and post but glad I found this thread. I will wait til after a photo but I'm thinking just leave it alone until its a little taller...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
ZM
Our muscadines do well in our clay, which is acidic. I add some lime from time to time, if I remember, and fertilize in the spring and fall. When we put ours out 20 years ago, someone showed a trellis with a wire cable strung atop 2 garden timbers. It works but I like the horizontal flat wire better. We will reset ours this year as the timbers are rotting now, and one failed this spring. I am glad to have read this thread and learn about razzmatazz and see the other setups. I will add a pic of our 4 vines when the light comes up.

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
... I am glad to have read this thread and learn about razzmatazz and see the other setups. I will add a pic of our 4 vines when the light comes up.
That RazzMataz is pricey...they are sure proud of it and prohibit taking cuttings, LOL, as if they are going out to inspect, LOL.

I'll say this, it is the only grape I've found that produces right after first growth and continues to produce...every four to six inches of growth has a bunch of grapes...amazing to me. I'm thinking about thinning some out to help the plant this summer but it seems to not be slowed by the presence of grapes.

razzmatazz 2019.JPG

DM check out the Victoria Red...it has a great pedigree for growing in conditions very similar to yours. I transplanted two in May and figured at best one would survive but thus far they both are very healthy. The press on it is terrific!

victoria red.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The muscadine are horizontal at the back of the garden. They get a lingering afternoon sun, but I need to move them out since that tree got bigger on the other side of the fenceline.
IMG_20190610_115159.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
That RazzMataz is pricey...they are sure proud of it and prohibit taking cuttings, LOL, as if they are going out to inspect, LOL.

I'll say this, it is the only grape I've found that produces right after first growth and continues to produce...every four to six inches of growth has a bunch of grapes...amazing to me. I'm thinking about thinning some out to help the plant this summer but it seems to not be slowed by the presence of grapes.

View attachment 54888

DM check out the Victoria Red...it has a great pedigree for growing in conditions very similar to yours. I transplanted two in May and figured at best one would survive but thus far they both are very healthy. The press on it is terrific!

View attachment 54890
I wish mine looked like yours!

Meadowlark

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
... They get a lingering afternoon sun, but I need to move them out since that tree got bigger on the other side of the fenceline...
DM,

One thing I've learned with the muscadine is they require full sun in order to produce grapes...they will survive and even grow with partial sun but to produce grapes requires full sun all day every day.

Ad

Advertisements

Ask a Question