Help with grass dead spots and yellowing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a-7b
Country
United States
Hello all, appreciate your help on this one. Grass like looked fantastic after fertilizing with pre emergence 2 months ago but even with ample watering and applying some lime the grass looks terrible. Blotchy, yellow with thin straw like dead patches. Any ideas I am at A loss. Thank you

Attachments

• FFDD9B90-EF71-40E7-85A4-EBAF91BFC265.jpeg
    FFDD9B90-EF71-40E7-85A4-EBAF91BFC265.jpeg
    425.7 KB · Views: 350
  • 320CB8CB-2331-4811-8316-4A81E6C4D3B9.jpeg
    320CB8CB-2331-4811-8316-4A81E6C4D3B9.jpeg
    434.9 KB · Views: 347
  • F3E6A73C-CDFD-4F82-B4A3-08548EE6F0D9.jpeg
    F3E6A73C-CDFD-4F82-B4A3-08548EE6F0D9.jpeg
    481.2 KB · Views: 342
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Which zone are you in @Rob C? It's handy information to add to your profile so that other members know what advice to give - you can add it by clicking on your name at the top of the page and entering the info where it says 'Hardiness Zone' (there's a link there too if you're not sure of your zone).

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
DSCF3656.JPG
maybe cut it a notch or two higher?

sharp blade? if using a mulching blade try a standard "hi-lift" blade for a smoother finish cut.

has it been hot already in your zone? Hot and dry work quick on northern type turf. If you water, water like you mean it, one good saturation is better than 5 light apps.

this pic shows a property I service cut at the right height with sharp blades.

mg guy

lawn and garden freak
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It is a Common grass fungus. Plus you probably cross contaminate lawns as a professional risk.
don't know if that was directed at me or not.
But to the OP, sounds like DM has you covered and diagnosed-good luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
don't know if that was directed at me or not.
But to the OP, sounds like DM has you covered and diagnosed-good luck!
I crossed you and OP as Lawn service guys somehow. That one middle picture has blades with yellow necrotizing activity across the blade moving down to the crown and others look like fungal leaf spots also. Both are activity of the same fungi. Leaf Spot. Cannot say 100% but every grass has a form of it.

Density of the plants, moisture content of those well watered nice wide blades, the heat of summer, and tall height of cut all contribute. But the worst thing is feeding nitrogen in the spring. Homeowner is proud of the yard, feeds yard, sets up deep season issues. But this is all just the regular stuff.

That pic of the well cut lawn is also one of the only ways to dry the lawn in our southeastern moisture. Even then it will spend the evening cover in dew around here. Maybe OP is north and that is a Tall Fescue.

I bet actinovate would help. Thyme oil also.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi. Photo one. Sorry but what a mess. Apologies for being critical but. Whoever is at the controls of the mower. Practice hard on guaging the width of cut. Take a look at the tv and a soccer field etc. The cutting width is defined.
From the pics. Might I sugest being less eager with the feeding. Perhaps for the next two mowings, raise the cutter height by a notch, and halve your mowing period. Perhaps your lawn could do with a gentle top dressing. Lawn grasses in particular are susceptible to over feeding....never underfeeding and lack of top dressing.

Briefly what happens is. Constant, frequeuent mowings encourage some grasses to ourgrow their depth. This results in the grass plant exposing the growing node to above soil surface level. So along comes the mower and being so low set, it cuts off the plant below the node and it's goodnight Vienna for the plant. Try throughout the cutting season to pehaps miss a week so as to give the lawn a chance. Pease feel free to contact me privately. Best wishes . Mike.

Ask a Question