Heathy to dead Grapes in 2-weeks

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cedar Creek, TX - Victoria Red grapes from Double-A Vineyards. No one spray ANY ANYTHING on or near them until a previous vine came down with the same thing a few weeks ago and is now totally dead. Someone mentioned spider mites - I sprayed the previously dead vine with an ORGANIC fungicide, insecticide, miticide - it died anyway. If anyone has a clue it would be nice to know if maybe Texas is just poison, in General.

Attachments

• Dead Grapes.jpg
    Dead Grapes.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 221
Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Cedar Creek, TX - Victoria Red grapes from Double-A Vineyards. No one spray ANY ANYTHING on or near them until a previous vine came down with the same thing a few weeks ago and is now totally dead. Someone mentioned spider mites - I sprayed the previously dead vine with an ORGANIC fungicide, insecticide, miticide - it died anyway. If anyone has a clue it would be nice to know if maybe Texas is just poison, in General.
Just about all of Texas is a bad place to grow grapes because of Pierces disease. Victoria Red is a variety, a Texas Superstar variety that is supposed to be resistant to this disease but being resistant and foolproof are two different things. Perhaps the vector of this disease, the sharpshooter insect, has evolved into spreading a different strain of this disease. I don't know, but your picture shows a perfect example of Pierces disease.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks,

That's just fricken great - I bought these vines because they're supposed to be resistant to Texas. Should I pull it out?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I have a Cowart Mucadine growing 8-ft from the previously dead vine - is it going to come down with the same thing? It looks OK but of late I think it is slowing down growing.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks,

That's just fricken great - I bought these vines because they're supposed to be resistant to Texas. Should I pull it out?
It doesn't make any difference. Muscadines and Mustang grapes are the ONLY grapes that (supposedly) do not get the disease. People have been trying to grow grapes in Texas for many years. So far only a few small areas in Texas seem to be immune and that is from these resistant varieties. Muscadines and Mustangs have been growing here for many years. Kind of like apples only with apples it's the soil and climate. With grapes its the insect and with insects they can morph into something a little different. I am not saying that the insects have morphed but I am saying that location is the key to at least a few years of production.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
It doesn't make any difference. Muscadines and Mustang grapes are the ONLY grapes that (supposedly) do not get the disease. People have been trying to grow grapes in Texas for many years. So far only a few small areas in Texas seem to be immune and that is from these resistant varieties. Muscadines and Mustangs have been growing here for many years. Kind of like apples only with apples it's the soil and climate. With grapes its the insect and with insects they can morph into something a little different. I am not saying that the insects have morphed but I am saying that location is the key to at least a few years of production.

Thanks, Chuck,

I will pull them out in a few days when this disgusting humidity relents a little.

I saw a container Cowart Muscadine on Amazon but I am wondering how in the heck anyone would ship something like that...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks, Chuck,

I will pull them out in a few days when this disgusting humidity relents a little.

I saw a container Cowart Muscadine on Amazon but I am wondering how in the heck anyone would ship something like that...
I'd go to a large nursery and forget about buying a vine online. You really need to look at what your are buying

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There aren't too many "large nurseries" around here seems like everything is a 4-hr drive.

I should probably just grow poison ivy instead.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
There aren't too many "large nurseries" around here seems like everything is a 4-hr drive.

I should probably just grow poison ivy instead.
There are all kinds of nurseries in Austin. What is it 30 miles? If it were me I would call The Natural Gardener. Its on Bee Caves Rd. to make sure they had some in stock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I phone TNG and they do not have any until fall.

There are personal reasons why it was important for me to try to get something started this year. I guess I just have to accept it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I phone TNG and they do not have any until fall.

There are personal reasons why it was important for me to try to get something started this year. I guess I just have to accept it.
That make sense because you want to plant them when they are dormant.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
ZM,

I have had years and years of grape growing without ever spraying one time or even the hint of a problem....muscadine variety.

It simply is incorrect to say that grapes don't do well in East Texas. Well, maybe its true in a sense because they do better than "well"....they do spectacular here!

Nothing, absolutely nothing makes a better grape jelly than the muscadines. I have scuppernong, cowart, Noble, and a couple of others.

I had to tear down my 30 year old grape arbor to make room for construction and the relocation of the grapes is a work in progress. I added the RazzMataz grape to my collection and then after reading about the Victoria red here ordered and planted a couple of them.

I don't know how these new varieties will do here but I can say 100% certainty that muscadines thrive here and I've never seen even the hint of Pierce's or any other problem. Virtually maintenance free once established.

Don't be discouraged or advised against grapes in our area...muscadines are a hoot!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Yep, muscadine and mustang grapes do really well in Texas because they are native to Texas. All other varieties are somewhat susceptible to downright guaranteed of getting Pierces whether they say they are resistant or not.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
Here is a photo of my transplanted muscadines...from 30 plus year old cuttings. I'm expecting grapes in August this year as well as foliage covering a large area:
original grape transplants.JPG

Here is the new "RazzMataz" variety. Read about it and you will see it has "muscadine" genes in its rootstock. It is supposed to produce continuously and if you look closely you can see bunches already forming.

Razz Matazz.JPG

Below see a newly started scuppernong grape :

succerpernong.JPG

Last but not least a large variety Cowart grape:

cowarts.JPG

I've tried European varieties and failed 100%...but have never failed or had a problem with a muscadine grape rootstock.

As mentioned, I recently (two days ago) planted a couple of Victoria Red based on reading about it here and elsewhere. I'm not optimistic that they will make it this year because of the very late start, but I intend to order more next winter and try again if necessary...and I suspect it will be necessary.

Don't ever give up on muscadines...they are a super food!

Ask a Question