Cutting dead leaves, and questioning brown spots.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Firstly, I would like to thank the forum for the great help thus far in my first garden.

My next question pertains to the leaf color of my Bush Beans.

Leaves on the bottom of the plant have turned yellow, and/or brown around the edges.
Is it best to cut these leaves off from their stem or leave them be?

Also, I've noticed some small brown spots on leaves near the top of the plant. Is this an indicator of anything?

Attachments

• IMG_9820.JPG
    IMG_9820.JPG
    251.1 KB · Views: 334
  • IMG_9822.JPG
    IMG_9822.JPG
    146.3 KB · Views: 314
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Looks like a mildew fungus if I could get my phone to hold the zoom on those picture. Or did you dust them with something? Protip: click the show full size image after uploading. Since you probably are not spraying be advised the insects are biting the leaves and stems and they carry bacterial wilt and viruses that will stunt the growth if not kill the plant outright.
Things like potassium bicarbonate are a little better than sodium bicarbomate. Aspirin water or copper based antifungal soaps, serenade, etc can fight off mildews for a few weeks.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Looks like a mildew fungus if I could get my phone to hold the zoom on those picture. Or did you dust them with something? Protip: click the show full size image after uploading. Since you probably are not spraying be advised the insects are biting the leaves and stems and they carry bacterial wilt and viruses that will stunt the growth if not kill the plant outright.
Things like potassium bicarbonate are a little better than sodium bicarbomate. Aspirin water or copper based antifungal soaps, serenade, etc can fight off mildews for a few weeks.
Thank you for the tip! I'll do that from now on and repost those photos now.

I have dusted with Diatomaceous to rid myself of some earwigs I had two weeks ago, I'll be giving a lighter dusting again this afternoon.

You can see in the photos, some leaves that are low to the ground are yellow/brown. (Should I cut them?)
IMG_9820.JPG

And in this photo, you can see little brown spots within the leaves. Specifically my Bush Beans as seen here. Is this a indicator of anything? More/less of water/sun or maybe pests?
IMG_9822.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
D earth is essentially sharp glass as would hurt persons during a volcanic eruption. Once settled you would need the buggos to roll about in it as would my dog roll in my neighbors horse poo after my wife spent my money on a proper trim and oatmeal dog bath. I do not think you have it yet. hang on phone call...

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
D earth is essentially sharp glass as would hurt persons during a volcanic eruption. Once settled you would need the buggos to roll about in it as would my dog roll in my neighbors horse poo after my wife spent my money on a proper trim and oatmeal dog bath. I do not think you have it yet. hang on phone call...

So with all that aside, is it best to trim yellow leaves close to the soil, and do brown spots on my leaves indicate anything?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No. yellow is alive. It is best if you take out the dead. And yes brown spots indicate death spots. Now is it a bug bite, fungus bite etc? Those bugs like the beetles up on their toes dance merrily across your DE. Sucking insects are also up on feet avoiding the dust. And seriously those low leaves are the very first leaves. I mean the life cycle of garden veggies is at most 4 to 6 months. Those leaves that come first obviously die first so if they die remove so the composting fungus is not encouraged at the base of the root.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
No. yellow is alive. It is best if you take out the dead. And yes brown spots indicate death spots. Now is it a bug bite, fungus bite etc? Those bugs like the beetles up on their toes dance merrily across your DE. Sucking insects are also up on feet avoiding the dust. And seriously those low leaves are the very first leaves. I mean the life cycle of garden veggies is at most 4 to 6 months. Those leaves that come first obviously die first so if they die remove so the composting fungus is not encouraged at the base of the root.
Got it.
How does one determine if the brown spots are disease or bites?

Here's a link to a timelapse of today:
I see a few bugs on the leaves, and extremely tiny insects on blooming 'flower.'

Last edited:

Ask a Question