Is my shrub dead?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I don't even know what this is as my late wife was the gardener. It has lovely red berries in the winter. This year, it seems to be in trouble. Is it dying or is there something I can do?

Attachments

• Bush1.jpg
    Bush1.jpg
    236.2 KB · Views: 333
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum @John McCann :)

Someone more knowledgeable will drop by at some point today I'm sure(y)

I personally don't think it's a gonner, it seems to be the left-hand side and the small middle shoot that is looking a tad poorly....the lower section and the right-hand side look quite healthy.

Now IF it was mine I would cut back the sad looking bits.....but thats just what I do to things :D:ROFLMAO:, best wait and see what the others have to say(y)

Hopefully someone will be able to identify it for you, then you will be able to research into it's care and find out about how to treat problems that it may be prone to (y):)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Hard to tell from the photo, but it looks like an old pyracantha to me. Might be worth checking whether it could have pyracantha scab (a fungal disease): https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?PID=265

They can be prone to problems when they get old unfortunately!

P.S. Welcome to the forum :)

Ask a Question