Replace dead azalea now or wait?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I planted a few Encore azaleas last fall, but one died recently. Should I replace it now, or wait for fall? It's very hot and dry right now -- 90's during the day and very humid. I've been watering frequently, but this azalea died anyway.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
If you replace it now then you must keep it watered and doing that means washing any nutrients through the soil. I think it would be safer to leave planting until later in the year.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Thx. I'll have to water regardless or my young azaleas and dogwoods will die. They get too much afternoon sun this time of year now that the we're at peak summer. Shade will return in another month or so as the earth tilts on its axis. Actually, one set of azaleas gets afternoon sun. What should I add to the soil to add nutrients being washing away? I'm already using hardwood mulch. May need to add a little more.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Britain is having a good spring and summer that has followed a bad winter, something that rarely happens here. Yes you must keep your plants watered but hardwood mulching won't feed your plants. You could try giving them a special Azalea feed or use something more general like Fish blood and bone meal if that's available to you.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
The stated dose is 1 cup for new plants in the spring and fall. I may be using too much. I just grab a handful and pitch it near the drip line and under the drip line. The plants look healthy, except for the one that died.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Your estimated dose sounds okay and the plants will take up what they need. It's difficult to know why the one plant died as the others are all healthy. I presume there was nothing visible, pests on leaves or around the roots?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
Sheal, regarding what your said, "Your estimated dose sounds okay and the plants will take up what they need." Are you saying I can't really overfeed using Hollytone? The plants use what they need and disregard the rest? I may be wasting money, but not damaging the plant?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Sorry, I meant your estimated dose sounds about right, your handful is probably the equivalent of one cup, assuming you are talking about a cup you drink from. You can over feed but it doesn't have to be spot on regarding the instructions, close is good enough. :) Overdosing would be two cups or more.

Ask a Question