Gardening with Deadly Nightshade

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8-9
Country
United States
Hi all! I know most of us have cultivated some member of the Deady Nightshade (Solenacea, Solanum) family/genus (tomatoes, potatoes, eggplant, goji etc) but has anybody grown the toxic species in their garden? I found this plant growing in a crack in the concrete and being the crazy plant lady I am I pulled it up and potted it.
IMG_0960.JPG

I'm pretty sure it's a Nightshade plant, and I thought the foliage was so beautiful I had to have it.

Does anybody have any experience with this plant? Does anybody know if it spreads? Do bees like it? Any info would be good!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Must admit the deadly nightshade family does have some attractive flowers. But I wouldn't grow it myself .

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
It's been my observation that plants that are referred to as "deadly", really are not all that deadly. I'd be curious how that plant looks as it grows and what the flowers are like. Personally I'd keep it.

Ask a Question