Hanging basket garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I hope I will:) . I really need more miniature roses! Well, maybe not exactly ''need'' but... you know what I mean. I just love roses so much:D . The problem is, my room is very small, even if I wanted to move my table, I couldn't. I'll definitely have more space for plants when I'll move out. But who knows when I'll be able to do this. Right now I'm thinking about some hanging baskets for my roses, I think it might look wonderful:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, do you think you could erect something indoors that wouldn't take up too much space, something like a metal arch or something wooden that could give you the hanging space you need and not be too problematic for the amount of space you have?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I think I could do something like this...:) I've been thinking about sticking a hook into the ceiling...but a metal arch definitely seems like a better idea:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
It's definitely worth considering. And you could always take it with you when you move, which I am sure you eventually will.

Reaction score
Here is something I have found worth sharing.. hanging Gardens could also have utility value..
0616_garden01.jpg

Found this link pretty interesting http://www.hypernatural.com/hydropon.html
I like this pic. I am looking for something to grow on my arbor above my patio and never thought of gourds. I currently have grapes growing but they make such a mess and I have raccoons come around and have grape stomping parties on my patio at night.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It's definitely worth considering. And you could always take it with you when you move, which I am sure you eventually will.

I hope I will!

I love when people decorate their houses with plants in hanging baskets:

Hanging-baskets.jpg

Window%20Boxes%20%20Hanging%20Baskets%20at%20top%20Bristol%20Hotel.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine I have been thinking about getting some of those bracket hangers!

I currently have grapes growing but they make such a mess and I have raccoons come around and have grape stomping parties on my patio at night.

I know you don't think it's funny, but the image of groups of raccoons stomping grapes is hilarious! You should set up a video camera so you can see exactly what they are doing out there at night.

Jed

Reaction score
For years my wife and I made baskets of all types including hanging baskets.
They were made of ratan cane and wire and would just about last forever.
It's quite a joy to see our baskets now which are highly recognizable still proudly hanging on someones front porch.Beside selling them empty we would also plant them up and sell them at markets. The most popular what I can remember were ivy leaf geraniums and Lobelia also oregano and thyme were popular.
Photo from the net
Ivy leaf geranium.
images

Lobelia below
images

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Jed, I've been thinking about using baskets instead of plastic flower pots. I have one plain one, free of stain, that I just lined with brown paper out of desperation for someplace to transplant garlic to. I have another nicer basket with a stain that I am tempted to use, but I am concerned about it leaching something into the soil.

Of course I used to have more baskets, but I've given them all away in an attempt to reduce the clutter in my life (sigh).

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Jed, is it hard to make a basket? I'd love to try.
Tmann, your little fury friends are simply adorable:) . My friend had a raccoon once, she wanted to keep him at home instead of a dog but he was very aggressive.

Jed

Reaction score
I have another nicer basket with a stain that I am tempted to use, but I am concerned about it leaching something into the soil.

We used to line our baskets with supermarket shopping bags. Right size and shape but you will need now to use non degradable plastic bags.
Jed, is it hard to make a basket? I'd love to try.
Tmann, your little fury friends are simply adorable:) . My friend had a raccoon once, she wanted to keep him at home instead of a dog but he was very aggressive.

Do racoons eat your plants Tmann? Are they like possums?

Our baskets were made using a jig I made up holding wire in place.
The wire was the warp and the cane was the weft in weaving terms. It made for a very durable weaving. It was created by people who made cray/rocklobster pots and which the technique we picked up 20 something years ago. The method can be used for all styles of baskets.

Reaction score
We used to line our baskets with supermarket shopping bags. Right size and shape but you will need now to use non degradable plastic bags.

Do racoons eat your plants Tmann? Are they like possums?
Jed they only eat my grapes, they stay out of my vegetable garden. I tried growing corn once and they did eat that though.

Jed

Reaction score
The little rascals. Your grape is very vulnerable.
I have a possum problem and after garden fence variations I now grow in totally enclosed garden structures. I have 5 available to use each one about 500 square feet.
We can't bear to lose our hard earned toil.

Reaction score
Tmann, are you sure that those raccoons don't like gourds? Else you will have a bigger problem on your hands. We have monkeys coming and destroying the tender gourds here... sometimes they would take a huge pumpkin and crash it on the grounds to break it up and boy what a mess that would cause...
The cumbers are fine.. they just eat up the whole thing so no mess to clean up..
These creatures could be such an annoyance though it is cute to watch them if they were not on your property:D

Ask a Question