Hanging basket garden

Reaction score
I love the idea of a hanging garden in addition to my container garden. You double your planting space for double the produce. I found a good video on youtube.com.

Reaction score
I love the idea of a hanging garden in addition to my container garden. You double your planting space for double the produce. I found a good video on youtube.com.
iluvmario, there is another thread here on topsy turvy gardening.. I think there is a better video there about how to do it.. :)
@ Claudine love that heart shaped chandelier planter :) The bra planter was a special experiment for a breast cancer awareness campaign it says. LOL :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
How do feel about this one? I know I wouldn't like it to be hanged above my head, it looks heavy. It also looks kind of strange, lol:p

wiszacy_kwietnik.jpg

Reaction score
Maddie, it looks magical! I love it!:D
I really like when street lamps are decorated with flowers growing in hanging flowerpots:

LeavenworthBavarianVillageHangingBasketphotocreditstarmist1.jpg

BID_flowers_pw_6-21.jpg

Awards-Wokingham-feature.jpg

These are really beautiful. That would add such ambiance to any street to see hanging plants from signs. This actually gives me an idea, there is a "Speed Limit 25" sign in front of my house, just to the right of my front porch. It's actually in my yard but about 3 inches from the curb. I just might decorate it. There is no place for a hanging plant but I definitely could grow a nice blooming vine up the pole. Since it's in my yard, I don't think the city or my sub-division will say anything about it.

Reaction score
These are really beautiful. That would add such ambiance to any street to see hanging plants from signs. This actually gives me an idea, there is a "Speed Limit 25" sign in front of my house, just to the right of my front porch. It's actually in my yard but about 3 inches from the curb. I just might decorate it. There is no place for a hanging plant but I definitely could grow a nice blooming vine up the pole. Since it's in my yard, I don't think the city or my sub-division will say anything about it.
That would add some greenery to the scene.. I am sure you will get some appreciation coming your way.. I always love to see some form of greenery on either side of the roads..

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland

I think it's a lovely idea, I'm sure a blooming vine will look beautiful. I wish everybody was willing to decorate signs - and in general to decorate everything that can be decorated in our cities:D

Reaction score
The Spider Plant, once it starts growing - in the right spot - can be one of the most beautiful hanging plants around...

spider-plant2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, this one is giant - and indeed beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have enough of free space for such a big plant.
Maybe I should think about something like this:

plants-hanging.jpg

Reaction score
Wow, this one is giant - and indeed beautiful. Unfortunately I don't have enough of free space for such a big plant.
Maybe I should think about something like this:

plants-hanging.jpg

This is rather cool Claudine, but if I had something like this I'd probably have all the pots color coordinated, or if different colors, the pots would at least be the same style and size. It looks a bit off with the different types of pots, but that's just me. When it comes to aesthetic beauty and the overall ambiance and decor of my plants, and my home, I want it looking like something straight out of "Better Homes and Gardens" (and it doesn't take a lot of money to accomplish that). Those curtains don't appear to be a good fit either .. :) .. again, that's just me ... and I apologize if the curtains belong to someone on this forum.. they are OK, just not my taste ..

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The African Violet is cute in the flower pot. I spring is on the way and now is the time to start planning what you would like to see growing in the next 8 weeks. I will have one of the hanging pots for vegetables this summer. I have one that needs a taller poll to allow the plant to hang down.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is rather cool Claudine, but if I had something like this I'd probably have all the pots color coordinated, or if different colors, the pots would at least be the same style and size. It looks a bit off with the different types of pots, but that's just me. When it comes to aesthetic beauty and the overall ambiance and decor of my plants, and my home, I want it looking like something straight out of "Better Homes and Gardens" (and it doesn't take a lot of money to accomplish that). Those curtains don't appear to be a good fit either .. :) .. again, that's just me ... and I apologize if the curtains belong to someone on this forum.. they are OK, just not my taste ..

Lol, I so agree about the curtains:p . I'd choose different flowerpots too - but not necessarily in the same color since decorations in my room are rather eclectic too. I just like the idea of hanging all plants like this near the window. Unfortunately I have no idea how to install a bar like this, plants are rather heavy so I'd be scared all of this could fall on my head one day:p

Reaction score

I agree, I like the basic idea of the plants hanging in a row like that from a curtain rod but I would want to do it in a more modern and colorful way.
This look is too country cozy for me and I would want something a little more updated and groovier.
(And pots that look more unified and coordinated.)

Reaction score
I agree, I like the basic idea of the plants hanging in a row like that from a curtain rod but I would want to do it in a more modern and colorful way.
This look is too country cozy for me and I would want something a little more updated and groovier.
(And pots that look more unified and coordinated.)

I agree, and you were much more kind in the way you put it, "country cozy." I would just call it COUNTRY. LOL.

Maybe if the plants were larger and actually covered the pots it would look a bit more uniform, but the way it looks now, I'd immediately do a makeover. I'd go straight to Walmart, buy some inexpensive pots that are the same size, maybe the same color, or if the colors were mixed, I'd definitely get the same type of pots. Then I'd re-pot all the plants, and swap out those curtains. It would give that room (looks like a kitchen) a totally different look.

Reaction score
Lol, I so agree about the curtains:p . I'd choose different flowerpots too - but not necessarily in the same color since decorations in my room are rather eclectic too. I just like the idea of hanging all plants like this near the window. Unfortunately I have no idea how to install a bar like this, plants are rather heavy so I'd be scared all of this could fall on my head one day:p
I agree Claudine, and that would be my concern as well. Plants can get a bit heavy, especially as they grow. Also, when you water a plant, that makes it a little heavier. I once had a philodendron, hanging from a vaulted ceiling, in an apartment I lived in, years ago. The plant was a little over 6 feet long, very healthy and beautiful. It got to the point where I needed to re-pot the plant. I purchased a bigger pot, a large S-hook for the ceiling, borrowed a ladder from the office. I re-potted the plant, climbed the latter, installed the jumbo s-hook, then hung the plant.

About 10 minutes later, while in the bedroom, I heard a soft crash. Ran back in the living room and the plant had crashed to the floor, leaving a nice size hole in the ceiling. The crash was "soft" because the leaves were so thick and long, the plant sort of broke its own fall. However, the plant actually went into shock immediately after the fall and never recovered, even after new soil and a new pot. This plant literally went into shock because all the leaves on the plant were vibrating. I kid you not, the leaves were VIBRATING. I had never seen that before and to this day, I've never seen it again.

A couple of years ago, I read the book, "The Secret Life of Plants," and it explained how plants are much more alive than we think they are. It made me understand what occurred, and why my philodendron, 20 years earlier, went into shock.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I believe you, I feel so sorry for this poor plant:(
It's very possible plants feel more than we think, after all, they're alive beings.
This is why I always have some doubts when I prune my roses. I know I have to do this and I know it's good for them and they probably like it but still, pruning their delicate branches is not my favorite thing to do. Maybe it's a little crazy but I can't help it.

Ask a Question