How many Supertunias to a 14" hanging basket?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello all,

I recently picked up some Wave petunias, Supertunias, and some Calibrachoa (Million Bells). Can't wait to get them planted!

I am going to do a couple of hanging baskets with the Wave and a few with the Supertunias. But I've got some questions on the Supertunias. How many should go in a 14" basket? The gal at the gardening store was figuring 2 of them maximum, but another person said just one Supertunia and get two Million Bells. Another person said three Supertunias will be fine... I'm getting all kinds of responses.

I have a 'night sky' petunia plant, in a pint sized container, a Proven Winners 'Bordeaux' in a pint sized container, and another Proven Winners brand Million Bells. Can I get away with putting these three in a 14" basket without restricting root growth, etc? I placed them in the hanging basket yesterday without the potting mix and it's a snug fit, but it's nice and full.

I'm a total novice at this, so of course I don't want to "overdo" it and end up with unhealthy plants, then again I don't want to go the other way and wish I'd have planted more in a basket.

I'd appreciate any advice! Thank you!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
@johnny canoe

I'd err on over rather than under planting, just based on my experience with petunias and such. I always ignore the instructions and plant them way more densely than recommended.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4b
Country
Canada
Hi Beth, for sure, some I really stuff and as long as one keeps up the watering and feeding. But over the years I have gotten to know what to expect from the different varieties and plant my pots and baskets accordingly. For example, I love the African Set, when the sun is setting that pastel colour just jumps out at you. So anyways, I have to have a wave petunia around the sunset to hold them up. I have a violet one that also needs a wave for support.
And in our territory we need to get all we can get from them for our few months of summer. I just had a customer come over this afternoon, to put in an order for avalanche waves for her front flower bed. She didn't know how many she would need. I just told her to let me take care of it, it's going to be stuffed with blooming Petunias. She was pleased to hear it. lol

Ask a Question