Too Many Toaster Oven Choices

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I am getting cross eyed looking for a replacement toaster oven. They even come with air fryers and I did not even know that was a thing. Our little old toaster oven lost it top heater so I set about to find a new one. Kitchenaid makes one I like, cuisineart also. The breville line seems to be the premium brand, but I just do not think Becky is going to think well of me if I buy their 400 dollar do everything flagship. What do you use your toster oven for and what would you like it to do better?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
We bought the Breville Smart Air Oven about 2 months ago. We like it so much that we seldom turn on our regular cook stove/oven anymore. It is somewhat of a challenge learning how to cook with it though. One should have a modicum of cooking knowledge as the time and temperatures are different than a regular oven. The direction booklet is important.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
We bought the Breville Smart Air Oven about 2 months ago. We like it so much that we seldom turn on our regular cook stove/oven anymore. It is somewhat of a challenge learning how to cook with it though. One should have a modicum of cooking knowledge as the time and temperatures are different than a regular oven. The direction booklet is important.

Is the display readable? Becky is prone to like the simplicity of the the mechanical controls. Do you ever air fry with it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Is the display readable? Becky is prone to like the simplicity of the the mechanical controls. Do you ever air fry with it?
The display is large and easily readable and the controls are mechanical. The smart part of the machine are the computerized heating elements. Somehow the machine knows when to reduce or increase the heat to each element independent of the others. The airfry mode probably isn't as good as a dedicated airfryer but when one understands it, it works very well. I've only airfried hamburgers, chicken thighs and wings, pork chops and Mexican dishes and all have been delicious. We roasted a 15 1/2 lb turkey on Thanksgiving for 2 1/2 hours and it came out perfect. The only thing I have found so far that the air fryer doesn't cook a good as regular frying is fresh fish, but, I imagine that it is my fault for not doing it right. On bake it makes wonderful bread. It even has a proof mode for the yeast and for the rising of the dough. It has other modes that I haven't tried yet like warming, dehydration and a few others. It has 13 different modes. It has a pizza mode that cooks pizzas perfectly. I have learned how to make my on crusts and homemade pizzas are much better and cheaper than any store bought. On the broil mode I have broiled world class steaks. When we first got the machine it was a learning experience.......length of cook time and temperature are all different than conventional cooking. We haven't used our regular gas kitchen stove in weeks. The machine also is VERY ECONOMICAL We use it for about an hour per day and haven't seen our electric bills go up at all. One thing I find that the machine doesn't do as well in is toasting bread. It has a toast mode and will toast 9 or 10 slices of bread at a time but you have to turn the bread over. I find that my old 4 slicer toaster works better for me. On some blogs folks complain about the clean up after air frying, roasting or any other messy applications. My wife cleans after each use with a simple wipe down with a damp soft towel. It still looks brand new on the inside.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
The display is large and easily readable and the controls are mechanical. The smart part of the machine are the computerized heating elements. Somehow the machine knows when to reduce or increase the heat to each element independent of the others. The airfry mode probably isn't as good as a dedicated airfryer but when one understands it, it works very well. I've only airfried hamburgers, chicken thighs and wings, pork chops and Mexican dishes and all have been delicious. We roasted a 15 1/2 lb turkey on Thanksgiving for 2 1/2 hours and it came out perfect. The only thing I have found so far that the air fryer doesn't cook a good as regular frying is fresh fish, but, I imagine that it is my fault for not doing it right. On bake it makes wonderful bread. It even has a proof mode for the yeast and for the rising of the dough. It has other modes that I haven't tried yet like warming, dehydration and a few others. It has 13 different modes. It has a pizza mode that cooks pizzas perfectly. I have learned how to make my on crusts and homemade pizzas are much better and cheaper than any store bought. On the broil mode I have broiled world class steaks. When we first got the machine it was a learning experience.......length of cook time and temperature are all different than conventional cooking. We haven't used our regular gas kitchen stove in weeks. The machine also is VERY ECONOMICAL We use it for about an hour per day and haven't seen our electric bills go up at all. One thing I find that the machine doesn't do as well in is toasting bread. It has a toast mode and will toast 9 or 10 slices of bread at a time but you have to turn the bread over. I find that my old 4 slicer toaster works better for me. On some blogs folks complain about the clean up after air frying, roasting or any other messy applications. My wife cleans after each use with a simple wipe down with a damp soft towel. It still looks brand new on the inside.

Given how much we used our little toaster oven to the point of failure, I thought I better learn about the new offerings. It is funny to me that it would be you to pop up with the stove I spent a lot of time looking at last night. I had decided to just get the regular design without the air fryer but with the light. Oh well. I ordered the Air version and it will be here Thursday! Did you ever work in sales?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Given how much we used our little toaster oven to the point of failure, I thought I better learn about the new offerings. It is funny to me that it would be you to pop up with the stove I spent a lot of time looking at last night. I had decided to just get the regular design without the air fryer but with the light. Oh well. I ordered the Air version and it will be here Thursday! Did you ever work in sales?
LOL, no sales experience here. We started to get the 800 series oven but it was just too small, could barely cook a whole chicken. It is important to follow the start up instructions and if you have any questions just PM me. And don't get frustrated and tear up the box it comes in. Breville has a good service policy but it must be returned in its box. It takes 2 men and a small boy to get the thing out of the box.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
LOL, no sales experience here. We started to get the 800 series oven but it was just too small, could barely cook a whole chicken. It is important to follow the start up instructions and if you have any questions just PM me. And don't get frustrated and tear up the box it comes in. Breville has a good service policy but it must be returned in its box. It takes 2 men and a small boy to get the thing out of the box.
Thanks for the tip about the box. Now one more question, but about your range. We are coming to the end of our range, and looking around I see the smooth top double door electric types like Becky wants, and gas ranges which I am under the impression are favored by many cooks. Since we have propane I asked her about gas, because the gas ranges are half the cost of the electrics. She said she did not know how to use a gas range as she grew up on electric and does not favor gas. My suspicion is gas would end up costing more over the long run, but then I have a good sized collection of cast iron and find it appealing to at least think about. How do you find your range, especially now that you use the little oven so often?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Thanks for the tip about the box. Now one more question, but about your range. We are coming to the end of our range, and looking around I see the smooth top double door electric types like Becky wants, and gas ranges which I am under the impression are favored by many cooks. Since we have propane I asked her about gas, because the gas ranges are half the cost of the electrics. She said she did not know how to use a gas range as she grew up on electric and does not favor gas. My suspicion is gas would end up costing more over the long run, but then I have a good sized collection of cast iron and find it appealing to at least think about. How do you find your range, especially now that you use the little oven so often?
In my experience serious cooks only use gas, simply because of the ranges of heat, from barely on to full blast. I don't think electric stove tops can match gas. The ovens are a different matter. Just about all serious cooks have separate ovens and they are just about all electric. But really, with the Breville you just don't need nor will you ever use the oven unless you cook something large and even stuff you normally use a full size stove on is also done in the Breville. A 15 lb turkey is just about all the Breville can accommodate. So that leaves the cook top and gas IMO is a hands down winner. A propane gas stove is easily converted to natural gas. I also think a gas cooktop is more energy efficient too. When I have used electric stove tops it takes x amount of time for the burner to reach temperature. On gas it's much faster. The cons of a gas stove is heat. Its nice on a cold winter day to cook with the oven but not so nice in the summer. I too have a large cast iron collection but only use a few pieces now. Originally I cooked mainly over an open fire and thus acquired a number of different things.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
not into toaster ovens. like the good old fashioned toaster, bread in and push down etc. somehow with all the cooking I do never did think I missed one.
I agree but the Breville is not just a toaster. It's a serious cooking machine for just about anything.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
4 to 5 best for success.
Country
United States
My stove is gas. and I have 5 burners. and I have two ovens, top one can be a convection with a press of a button. bottom is half size good for two to three pies or a flat of cookies, or a good warmer section. Top oven can cook a 24 lb turkey if wish, it also has a meat thermometer attachment that can cue the stove to when done.

I am gathering the "Breville " sits on the counter top. will check it out. I don't have room for anything else. but out of curiosity will look. that's what I thought it looked like. yep, no room. and not necessary for me. Good luck to your shopping.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
My stove is gas. and I have 5 burners. and I have two ovens, top one can be a convection with a press of a button. bottom is half size good for two to three pies or a flat of cookies, or a good warmer section. Top oven can cook a 24 lb turkey if wish, it also has a meat thermometer attachment that can cue the stove to when done.

I am gathering the "Breville " sits on the counter top. will check it out. I don't have room for anything else. but out of curiosity will look. that's what I thought it looked like. yep, no room. and not necessary for me. Good luck to your shopping.
Anyone whomsoever has cooked a 24lb turkey also has all the stove knowledge I could imagine being useful.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have to weigh in on the electric vs gas. Gas is great for cooking but electric is better for baking. I haven't bought any baked goods for 20 years because I make my own and the electric oven is superior for this. When my halogen cooktop dies, I'd probably go for a gas replacement. Gas is the better for stove top cookery.

I've just had a friend offer me a toaster oven for free so I will use this as a stepping stone to perhaps purchasing a new counter top one. I've got oodles of counter space and each area has multiple electric outlets. Spoiled, I am. I think the beauty of tbese devices is that on a hot summer day, I can plug it in outside :) I do have a sun oven and wood stove outside but neither is really great for baking breads, etc.

Good thread. Got me thinking!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Keir Hardy
Country
United Kingdom
Three years ago when we were out buying a replacement tumble dryer one of these, "followed me home."

It went wrong last year but they replaced it as they have a five year guarantee.

My philosophy, if you're going to waste money on a non essential item, then, "do it big time."
Ours is a red four-slice.

There's a bagel setting when you want it, so it only toasts one side.

If you don't take the toast out when it's ready, it goes back down again and it keeps it warm for you until you want it.

Ask a Question