What is this tool?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I have had 2 of them for 20 years and my wife thinks I should keep them. What is it for? I never use them But I think Becky must every 5 years or so. @Colin any idea? The shaft says Japan and the handle USA. The tip is threaded.

IMG_20181112_132828.jpg

Gail_68

Beauty blooms in the garden as well as the heart.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
It appears to have left hand threads so I would say @waretrop is correct. A bradawl does not have a threaded end and is more like an icepick.
I've just checked in the vintage section and it is a Vintage wooden handle bradawl but DirtMechanic as a more modern plastic handle.

Vintage-IRWIN-900-Gimlet-Screw-Tap-Starter-Auger.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United Kingdom
Funny that this should be asked today as I have just been using one of these to make holes in wood so that screws are easier to start.
Gimlet was one of the dwarves in the Hobbit,or something like that!
There is actually a difference between a Bradawl and a gimlet. The former is just a pointed tool whereas the latter has a screw tip to it.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
159695.0.jpg

A modern gimlet set. I had no idea. Thank you all!

I get the idea that in the isolated world of trim wood, such as door trim, these tools are used primarily to reduce the chance of splitting the trim wood, which is a sore disappointment visually. Since such woods are often softer than structural wood, the use of the tool makes much more sense to me now. Again, thank you all!

Last edited:

Colin

Retired.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply DirtMechanic but I've only just noticed this thread and it's already been answered; yes I'd go with Gimlet but why the wasted shaft which is unusual?

I've been busy on the sister DIY forum and keep running out of time. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Hi,

Sorry for the late reply DirtMechanic but I've only just noticed this thread and it's already been answered; yes I'd go with Gimlet but why the wasted shaft which is unusual?

I've been busy on the sister DIY forum and keep running out of time. (y)

Kind regards, Colin.
Yes I imagine those forums are right up your alley!

Ask a Question