Your must have tools

Reaction score
There are so many unique and useful tools in the gardening world. Whether we find fun gadgets while watching television or come across something in the hardware store, we are bound to find something to use in our gardening ventures. I tend to use simple tools, such as shovels and dirt...you know, the normal stuff. I would love to find a useful gadget for gardening, but majority of the things I find seem very gimmicky.

Everyone has their must haves while doing anything. Sometimes we can go without, but there are things that we prefer to have while gardening.

Are there any tools that you've found useful?
What are the tools you must have while gardening?

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Good question! I must have my long handled four pronged cultivator, a good hoe, a digging fork, a trenching shovel, a regular shovel, a spade, and a garden rake.
Hand tools--two kinds of pruners, by-pass and anvil; a sturdy trowel, preferably marked with inches on the blade to make depth judgement easier; a hand cultivator; long handled loppers; and a pair of fine sharp-ended pruners for harvesting herbs and dead-heading roses.
Not exactly in the category of tools, but my goatskin gloves have saved me a lot of pain ;), and I dearly love my bicycle-wheeled garden cart that has served me for over 40 years and is still doing great service.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
United States
Gloves for sure! Then would be a pitchfork, those things can mix around my dry soil, and help me mix my compost bin.

Reaction score
Country
Kenya
For a start, you absolutely have to have tools for digging the ground up in preparation for planting. These can be used for cultivation also. Tools vary according to the level of mechanization and the topography of the area concerned as well as the scope of the farming initiative. A forked hoe and a machete are some of the most essential tools for my operations. I cannot sign off without mentioning a watering can.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well I would love to see the face of someone who goes to tend to their garden and then suddenly realized that they do not have any tools. Boy would they look foolish, but I will not harp on it too much because when I first started gardening I bet I had a similar look on my face several times and for a variety of reasons. And @CrazyConure is right - don't forget about the gloves.

Ask a Question