What are the must have herbs for newbie?

Reaction score
Country
South Africa
As a newbie to gardening as a whole, I want to start with the easier projects like creating a herb garden for my kitchen. What are the must-have herbs that I should start with?

Reaction score
Country
United States
Well the truth is is that there are so many out there that it just depends on your personal taste. If you are referring to the ease of planting and gardening, I would say that most are fairly simple and require a little bit of research, so I would just go with the ones that you will actually use. Oregano and basil are my two must haves, but of course it is different for each person. Thanks for sharing.

Reaction score
Country
United States
My favorite herbs in my kitchen include oregano, basil, parsley, rosemary, cilantro, and peppermint. I would start with the ones you use the most and maybe a couple you would like to start using.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
Definitely basil, but there are so many kinds you might want to do a bit of research to see what you might like, and might use. We grow Genovese basil--the classic large leaf Italian basil, a lot of flat-leaf parsley, sage, and both Italian and Mexican oreganos.
We can have fresh herbs all year around, simply by planting in pots that can be moved to shelter (the barn) during cold spells. I don't know what the climate is like in S. Africa where you are, but herbs in the ground, and a few extras in pots, ought to keep you supplied with fresh herbs.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
The ones you find tasty. :)

Which herbs do you incorporate into salads and cooking? Which do you enjoy the taste of?

Grow those.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
10b
Country
Bahrain
Basil and Mint. Hardest to kill I've found so far
Source: A fellow newbie :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Basil, mint, cilantro, and chive for me! They are all easy to grow, and the mint and chive come back every year too. As for cilantro, if the seeds fell in the pot, they will grow back themselves too.

Ask a Question