Mustard weed, bugs, and disease (one problem, actually)

Reaction score
I moved to my current place nearly two years ago. I promptly planted beans, tomatoes, peas, and a few other things. They lived for a while, then began to shrivel and dry up.

I called the local extension office. They sent a man out and he thought it might be weed killer that had soaked into the ground. He stressed that this was a guess, and that testing the soil would be very expensive.

In January, I began a landscaping and gardening class offered by the extension office, through the local college. At one point, they talked about a very common problem: Mustard weed (which I have all over my place, but it was gone when the man from the extension office came over to my place to look at my ground).

This is the cycle: Mustard weed sprouts up, a certain type of bug is attracted to it. When the mustard finishes its life-cycle and dies, the bug then goes to garden plants. Unfortunately, the bug carries a certain incurable disease which the plants get. It causes them to shrivel and die. It fits the m.o. (I can't remember the name of the bug or disease, but I could search for it in my notes if anyone wants to know about it.)

Has anyone had experience with this? Is it really incurable?

My miniature rose survived the bug/disease onslaught (but this year some small animal dug it up and decimated it - Darn cats weren't on the job that night! Or else they caught it after it fatally damaged the rose), thus I think some plants (besides other weeds) are immune to the disease.

Reaction score
Well, it looks like this problem really is incurable, then. If I can't keep the weeds down, it appears that a solution would be to find if any plants are immune, grow inside, grow in another place, move. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Pat

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Mustard Weed is a very invasive weed and very hard to control according to the report I read. There was no information on how to get rid of the weed and no mention of the bug you say it brings into the garden. There are several reports on google and suggestions on how to control the weed as best as possible. Sorry I have no more information to give on this plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Although mustard weed is a nasty invasive plant there is no evidence to suggest it to be a vector of plant disease transmitted by insects.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
I got lucky and was able to dig down 18 inches and discard the "bad" soil in my garden. I was lucky because there is a local indoor garden who had used soil for free. I had an entire truck load delivered and planted a garden. Boy, what a difference! After blooming, I added fertilizers and my garden was a success.

Ask a Question