Starting over w/ weed infested flower beds

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hi all,

My wife and I bought our first home this summer which included four flower beds in the backyard full of weeds that were about as tall as us. We cut them all down, did some rototilling, and have been using herbicides to keep reemerging weeds at bay. I imagine the beds are full of weed seeds so what else can we do to clear out these beds and hopefully get planting next spring?

Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome apb80. :) Unfortunately there's very little you can do about the seeds that remain other than pulling the weeds as they immerge. Some seed can remain dormant for years.

Good luck with your new home and gardens.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Hi all,

My wife and I bought our first home this summer which included four flower beds in the backyard full of weeds that were about as tall as us. We cut them all down, did some rototilling, and have been using herbicides to keep reemerging weeds at bay. I imagine the beds are full of weed seeds so what else can we do to clear out these beds and hopefully get planting next spring?

Thanks!
I stopped pulling weeds in the flower bed, I just dig them back into the soil, plus having a flower bed that's packed it make it harder for the weeds to grow, Herbicides can do more harm that help.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
You can mulch heavily with something that breathes like bark chips. It helps, but you will still get to weed at least once per year before you relayer the mulch for the season.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7b
Country
United States
I have come to the conclusion that weeds are nature’s way of retaining and building soil. For the most part weeds are annuals and die off each winter leaving organic matter to enrich the soil for next years “crop”. Weeds also grow rapidly and most have very strong root systems. This can help prevent the erosion of exposed soil. Many types of weeds produce flowers that feed our pollenators when there are few other plants in bloom. I will no longer use any Defoliants to control weeds. If I just mulch and spend 15 minutes every day with a hoe in the garden I can keep it almost weed free.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
In our clay, a weed root is a wonderfully low effort way to recleaim a barren spot. Any roots will help, but weeds are just so available, just turn the soil a bit and voila!

Ask a Question