Canadian Newbie starting a vegetable garden in my back yard.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
Hi,

I want to start a vegetable garden in my backyard, here in Montreal.
I don't have much space to work with, but I want to make the most of it.
I want to start from seed (ASAP), grow the seedlings under lights, move the plants to the greenhouse which I will build early spring, prepare a couple raised beds, plant, sow, watch it grow, and harvest!

I'll be uploading some youtube videos so people can follow along, as a newbie attempts to make some veggies grow, from seed.
Intro video:

I want to use this Forum to connect with other backyard gardeners, ask questions, get answers and show off what I end up doing and how well or badly it works out.

Cheers!
Adam

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum !

There are so many different growing zones in our country, for some it can be a real challenge to get veggies before the first frost. I use indoors, small hobby greenhouses, cold frames , raised beds and containers. My way of fooling with the weather gods.

I'm in southern Ontario. Whereabouts are you?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
I'm on the island of Montreal. I think I might have a couple weeks longer growing season then you do.

Still, I plan on starting alot of plants indoors under lights, and I'll harden off these plants ASAP, and then use the greenhouse(which I plan to build myself) , etc.

i was planning on doing a low tunnel, have you ever tried a low tunnel?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
I have some cold frames and an equivalent to a small tunnel. This one originally was only about 2 feet at it's peak so I got longer poles and made a new plastic cover for it. As you can see, I've grown a tricycle... okay, just joking. I'm storing it for this winter only as next year this will be my new asparagus bed.

This one I bought Plexiglas and made a frame for it

and this one I made out of an old door

I was studying the difference between our hardiness zone ratings and the US and Europe and found that you and I are rated, by Canada's map, as in the 6 area but we really are a zone lower. Canada's calcs take into account factors that are ignored by other countries. So, I adjusted my zone to match the criteria of most of the other forum users.
Cold frames, tunnels, greenhouses, - we need them all to get any kind of decent growing season particularly when it comes to things like hot peppers/chillies etc.

Attachments

• DSCN2626.JPG
    DSCN2626.JPG
    246.4 KB · Views: 227
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
Canada
@CanadianLori
the zones in Canada are inflated to make it seem better? why am I not surprised, maybe I should do like you and set my zone to 5a rather than 6a so its on par with the other counties hardiness zones.
however I am on the island of Montreal, Montreal-Ouest, and this does seem to give me good 1-2oC warmer weather then surrounding areas.

you seem to have a good setup, make sure to make a post when you get planting and stuff.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
And you typically get more snow than we do so the spring thaw waters everything. :)

I thìnk we've been lucky so far. It's up to 24f right now and the sun is shining. Going to put down new plastic in the greenhouse. Just want to be out in the sun and it's wuite warm in there right now. Thermometer says 43f..

Ask a Question