Rose Help for this Newbie Please

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello Everyone,

Brand new here, thanks for allowing clueless me to join up! :)

Bought our first home last year (zone 6b) and working hard to start landscaping this year; unfortunately, neither my husband nor I are experienced with gardening. We basically have no idea what we're doing. What I do know, is that I like roses, so I chose 8 and planted them all in the sunniest area of our property (front of home, southeast location - at least 8 hours of sun on sunny days).

We dug holes that were 2x2 deep, mixed deep soil with manure and peat moss as well as bone meal, planted the roses, sprinkled with epsom salts about half way and then again on top, topped off with bark mulch, and have been babying them ever since - checking for water daily, making sure they don't sit in water nor dry out, not watering the leaves, etc...

Roses were planted about 3 weeks ago, all came in pots. Six of the ones we planted came as little stumps basically, no buds nor new shoots... two of them we bought at Home Depot, these had new shoots AND buds when planted.

The two plants from Home Depot (the ones with buds) began to bloom within the week. One of them, the Knockout, is doing great! The other, the Earth Angel, was doing well for about a week... but is now acting strange. Many of its buds began to open, and then it mysteriously began to dry up and wilt in random areas. Most of the buds dried up, and many leaves are crumbling off - despite the fact that it's watered well, just as the others.

I'm posting photos of it. Does anyone have any idea of what to do, or what may be wrong with it? Should we leave it alone and allow it time? Should we trim it down to the bare stumps?

Any thoughts/ideas very much appreciate; we have no clue what we're doing and need all the help we can get.

Thanks in advance! :)

Attachments

• IMAG0224.jpg
    IMAG0224.jpg
    282.4 KB · Views: 228
  • IMAG0226.jpg
    IMAG0226.jpg
    266.2 KB · Views: 240
  • IMAG0225.jpg
    IMAG0225.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 244
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I am certainly not a rose person, but looking at those photos suggests to me they are root bound. Pull them up to see if the roots are wrapping around themselves. If so, pry the roots apart with your fingers, and replant.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Country
United States
As Licenter suggested, check to see if the rose is root bound. Also, pull the mulch away from the main stem, and cut back on the water a bit. Earth Angel is a floribunda, a very hardy type of rose, but it can't stand wet feet.
A 2'x2' hole filled with better soil, peat moss, manure, and dressed with epsom salts is basically a pot. When you water, the soil/moss/manure/bone meal will retain the water--it won't spread into the surrounding soil.
Be patient and your rose will likely recover.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thank you all so much for being willing to help, and for your prompt replies! :)

We'll be digging it up, prying the roots apart, re-planting, spreading the mulch further away from the stem, and allowing it to dry up a bit between waterings.

Will keep you all posted! Thank you again, how comforting to know there are people who have all the answers! :))

Have a wonderful rest of your holiday weekend!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Thank you all so much for being willing to help, and for your prompt replies! :)

We'll be digging it up, prying the roots apart, re-planting, spreading the mulch further away from the stem, and allowing it to dry up a bit between waterings.

Will keep you all posted! Thank you again, how comforting to know there are people who have all the answers! :))

Have a wonderful rest of your holiday weekend!

We need more forumers like you - polite and grateful and engaged!

Ask a Question