Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Durgan's Method. http://durgan.org/2011/

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/health-canada-food-guide-1.3501318
Health Canada reviewing food guide, critics demand drastic changes now
Government says review results coming later this year

Critics are calling on Health Canada to immediately overhaul the country's food guide to help improve the health of Canadians and address the growing obesity crisis.
Canada Food Guide — a guide they charge is too deferential to the food industry and fails in its mission to promote healthy eating.

Fruit juice, for instance, is presented as a healthy item when it is little more than a soft drink without the bubbles," declared the report.

"Ultimately, this is a guide that is very friendly to wheat and the refining of wheat," he says.

So what do we eat now?

It advises making natural and minimally processed foods, mainly plant-based, the basis of one's diet.

http://www.fao.org/nutrition/education/food-dietary-guidelines/regions/brazil/en/ Food-based dietary guidelines - Brazil

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
I have considered the Canadian Food Guide a reference of nonsense for years.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Practicing what I preach. 22 March 2016 Dinner

http://durgan.org/2016/March%202016/22March%202016%20Dinner/HTML/ 22March 2016 Dinner

Sauerkraut, sardines, mixed baked beans, hard boiled egg, glass of mixed juice, baked potato

dsc_882622march%202016%20dinner_std.jpg

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
Zone 5
Country
Canada
Ten Steps to Healthy Diets:

1. Make natural or minimally processed foods the basis of your diet

2. Use oils, fats, salt, and sugar in small amounts when seasoning and cooking natural or minimally processed foods and to create culinary preparations

3. Limit consumption of processed foods

4. Avoid consumption of ultra-processed foods

5. Eat regularly and carefully in appropriate environments and, whenever possible, in company

6. Shop in places that offer a variety of natural or minimally processed foods

7. Develop, exercise and share cooking skills

8. Plan your time to make food and eating important in your life

9.Out of home, prefer places that serve freshly made meals

10. Be wary of food advertising and marketing

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Sounds like American in a nutshell. We have the same obesity problems as your country does my neighbour. I would not trust a government issued guide to help me to eat a more healthy diet. You have to do some research online and go with the people you trust, Chefs and other people like us who actually eat the food and pay attention to our diets. I have started to eat more healthy at home just for the simple fact I do not want to ever become obese.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
Fantastic tips! Although in my situation, I don't make and preserve my own food but I tend to gear toward homemade food more than eating out or buying processed food. We also eat lots vegetables and fruits since without them I don't consider it a complete meal. Plant based food is what I am thriving for. Your dinner looked yummy :)

Reaction score
Country
Nigeria
Great tips on healthy diets. You couldn't have said it better.

Eating fresh always adds more value and nutrients to our lives.

Ask a Question