Starting from the ground up

Reaction score
Country
Philippines
So now that both of my parents have retired, I wanted to give them something that they can do everyday to keep them busy. So I thought of cleaning up this land space in front of our house where there used to be a garden. For years this 30 sqm. patch of land was left unattended, uncleaned and the soil left to dry, so the other week I pulled out the weeds and loosened the hardened/compacted soil. I also placed coffee grounds which I got from the local coffee shops to somehow add organic material, so now my question is, before I place newly purchased topsoil and frog grass on this small patch of land can I spray it with organic weed killer mix? (Vinegar, Salt, Dishwashing Liquid) I read that if I don't want anything growing from any land that I should use this, but what if my intention was just to make sure that the weeds don't come back from the old soil and not harm the new soil? I'm not sure if this makes any sense but I'm hoping someone might understand me. Thank you in advance.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Jason welcome to the forum. Sounds Like a nice little Garden Project. The Vinegar, Salt, Dishwashing Liquid Weedkiller will Work as a Contact Weed Killer but it will be an ongoing job. you will still get weeds Seasonally as there really no easy way of ever Having a Total weed free Garden. If you have good soil Weeds will always want to grow. A Fork spade and hoe plus some pruners of some kind will be your best friend & most organic Weapons in Your Quest In my opinion. Mind you there are loads of Gardeners Here With lots of Tricks & Tips........ Good luck & Keep us up to date & post for tips all you like Its a great little Forum(y)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Welcome Jason! Before you use salt you need to dig a hole and perform a perk test. It is water that leaches away salt, but if the soil does not drain well, it will not want to go away, causing problems for plants you want to grow.

Ask a Question