What weed killer.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ive a flower beds im trying to clear of small weed. Ive put down membrane, used new bark, but im sure theres a bit of the old bark mixed in with the new. Tryed endless times to pick them out but the little sods come back. Can someone please tell me what the best weed killer i can buy, ive tryed stuff from wilkos ect but thats just a wast of money. Thank you out there. Ken.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Homemade Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe

A standard homemade weed killer recipe contains vinegar, salt and dish soap. Like vinegar, salt is another cupboard ingredient that controls weeds, and dish soap helps the solution to cling to the weeds' leaves. Mix 1/2 gallon of distilled white vinegar with 1/2 cup of salt and 2 tablespoons of dish soap. Spray the weeds with the solution on a dry, warm, still day when rain isn't forecast. Spray the weeds thoroughly so that all the leaves are coated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Homemade Vinegar Weed Killer Recipe

A standard homemade weed killer recipe contains vinegar, salt and dish soap. Like vinegar, salt is another cupboard ingredient that controls weeds, and dish soap helps the solution to cling to the weeds' leaves. Mix 1/2 gallon of distilled white vinegar with 1/2 cup of salt and 2 tablespoons of dish soap. Spray the weeds with the solution on a dry, warm, still day when rain isn't forecast. Spray the weeds thoroughly so that all the leaves are coated.
What did the Romans do to destroy the fields of their enemys? You are correct. Salt. Salt will destroy all of the life in the soil for fairly long time. If you want to permanently get rid of weeds and everything else then salt is a great weed killer. Even a small amount of salt will affect the growth of plants. The best vinegar one can easily and cheaply buy is pickling vinegar which is either 10% or `12%. Regular vinegar is 5%. Horticultural vinegar is the best but it is expensive. It is 20% or 22%. But no matter which vinegar you use you still have to make multiple applications as vinegar kill the tops but not the roots.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im not worrying about the price, i dont want to kill everything, i just want to zap em. Is there one i can buy and know will work.. thanks. Ken

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Im not worrying about the price, i dont want to kill everything, i just want to zap em. Is there one i can buy and know will work.. thanks. Ken
So do we all! The stronger they get though, the more you risk the existing plants with overspray. Take the 2,4, D broadleaf killer for example. Not only is it a component in Agent Orange, but it is also a phytohormone that turns on all the plant cells and makes them grow uncontrollaby just like a cancer. Malformed sperm is a side effect of exposure. Its crap like that that makes synthetics a little unpopular around here. Plus 2,4 D does not kill grass of which you are sure to have some

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom

Don't mean that price is your priority, but as an added advantage!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I think it's illegal to use salt in Britain for weed killing, I'm not sure about vinegar. If chemicals aren't a problem for you then Roundup or SBK will work, they are both systemic killers. Be aware though they will kill just about anything they touch.

Weeds will still grow from any seeds left in the ground.

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
The more I learn about Gardening the less I want to zap and spray Stuff I'm in favour of getting in with a pair of gloves and pulling them out By hand or getting a fork, Spade, hoes or what ever is my favourite tool of the moment. I look after acers of gardens that way and have put my old sprayer out of a job. By Doing the weeding that way I find I'm improving the soil instead of poisoning it & killing only the weeds I want ride of & keeping the garden in a much better condition for the Insects that live in my garden & I'll be leaving the land in good shape for next generation of gardeners. Its also better for me to as it keeps me fit & healthy.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
I think it's illegal to use salt in Britain for weed killing, I'm not sure about vinegar. If chemicals aren't a problem for you then Roundup or SBK will work, they are both systemic killers. Be aware though they will kill just about anything they touch.

Weeds will still grow from any seeds left in the ground.
Probably some ancient salt trauma from being invaded or some in-house warring! I want a back story! Of course an Island surrounded by salt water probably survives best if you do not sprinkle some more salt on top of the island!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
I weed without chemicals wherever possible @Daren but there are some that's just not possible with. I have a large crop of bracken growing on my boundary that is gradually taking over my lawn by root running. It's not ideal to cut or rake it off as the spores are considered to be carcinogenic. However, I did rake it off this Spring after it had totally died back over winter. When It started to re-shoot I sprayed it with SBK and it grew through it so I will start the process again next Spring but will use Roundup, it's the only killer that will work.

My apologies, it seems I got the wrong Sodium @DirtMechanic. :rolleyes:

http://weedicide.co.uk/salt-kill-weeds-herbicide/

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
Be carful with round up as its also carcinogenic sheal.. I must be doomed When I think of all that bracken I've walked through on overgrown footpaths. I Do understand that bracken can be a real problem in places like where you now live. but I'd swap my stinging nettles and brambles for your Scottish bracken;)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, I'm aware that Roundup is also a problem Daren. Likewise - I was reared amongst farmland and spent many happy hours as a youngster playing in over grown fields including bracken but I'm still here to tell the tale. You can hold on to your brambles thank you, I have some of my own but I'd be happy to swap the bracken for your nettles. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
Yes, I'm aware that Roundup is also a problem Daren. Likewise - I was reared amongst farmland and spent many happy hours as a youngster playing in over grown fields including bracken but I'm still here to tell the tale. You can hold on to your brambles thank you, I have some of my own but I'd be happy to swap the bracken for your nettles. :)
Are you all being "prickly"? lol

Ask a Question