Weed killer

Reaction score
My husband just recently bought a seed spreader. We are trying to figure out just which weed killer we want to use on our yard. Are there a better brand over the other? Who has weed killer experience and can enlighten me on what products best?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The very best weed killer there is is a lawn mower. Keep your lawn regularly mowed and the grass itself will choke out weeds but if you insist on chemicals get Scott Weed & Feed. It will save you the bother of raking up leaves in the fall because in a few years of using it you won't have any trees. A good organic method is 2 oz. of orange oil to 1 gallon of 12% pickling vinegar. Spot spray the weeds. It will kill the grass too but it will quickly grow back. Instead of buying chemicals improve your lawns soil with compost and a little organic fertilizer. Use your seed spreader for that.

Reaction score
I agree with, Chuck... plus why do you want to mess around with strong chemical substances that are strong enough to kill weeds? That kind of chemicals aren't harmful to the weeds, but also to you. If I were I'd just mow the lawn or try the organic recipe chuck suggested you (you can tell I prefer organic over non organic). Best of luck!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
The very best weed killer there is is a lawn mower. Keep your lawn regularly mowed and the grass itself will choke out weeds but if you insist on chemicals get Scott Weed & Feed. It will save you the bother of raking up leaves in the fall because in a few years of using it you won't have any trees. A good organic method is 2 oz. of orange oil to 1 gallon of 12% pickling vinegar. Spot spray the weeds. It will kill the grass too but it will quickly grow back. Instead of buying chemicals improve your lawn's soil with compost and a little organic fertilizer. Use your seed spreader for that.
I forgot part of the recipie. Squirt in a little dishsoap to act as a surfactant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Like most people here, I don't use any chemicals in my garden.
I've always been scared of weed killers. If they can kill weeds, they can kill other plants as well, I'm afraid. Not to mention that they may harm insects and small animals:( I have a tiny Yorkie who spends a lot of time in our garden, so I prefer not to take any risk. Organic methods are much safer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
Like most people here, I don't use any chemicals in my garden.
I've always been scared of weed killers. If they can kill weeds, they can kill other plants as well, I'm afraid. Not to mention that they may harm insects and small animals:( I have a tiny Yorkie who spends a lot of time in our garden, so I prefer not to take any risk. Organic methods are much safer.
Check out veteranian reports about cancer in pets in reguards to chemical herbicides like Roundup. There must be a lot of money involved to allow these products like Scotts advertises to be allowed on the market.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Check out veteranian reports about cancer in pets in reguards to chemical herbicides like Roundup. There must be a lot of money involved to allow these products like Scotts advertises to be allowed on the market.
This is really scary! I'm surprised that so many people still want to use chemicals in their gardens:( If it's harmful to pets, it can be harmful to humans, too.
Also, I don't understand why nobody likes weeds. Some of them look quite pretty.

Ask a Question