All Natural Weed Killer?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
We just bought a piece of property last summer and the previous owner did not control the weeds at all. We had kochia weeds the size of pine trees!! It was ridiculous. I do not like using conventional weed killers because of some health issues I have. I also do not like putting pesticides into the soil or environment. Does anyone know of any natural weed killers to kill the kochia, but not kill the grass that I am trying to grow? I would appreciate any suggestions. Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
My only suggestion is to get a hired hand to pull out the weeds which you can pile into a haystack. When dried, you can use it as cover of the compost pile. I believe that weeds have the nutrients or the so called natural fertilizer that is good to mix in the soil. Just let it dry under the sun before using. Or maybe you can dig a hole to contain the dried weeds and they will turn into humus.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Japan
I've also used vinegar, as well as a water/chili mix that has also been pretty successful. I try to stay to natural stuff as much as possible since we have a dog, a cat and a baby - so I don't like using chemicals!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
6b
Country
United States
If the weeds are already as big as a pine tree, I think chopping it down, and dug up the root would be more effective. If I have no neighbor around, and it is not illegal, I would consider burning the patch of land that I would like to grow fruits and vegetables there.

Sounds like you will have a big job of cleaning up to do!

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United Kingdom
I think Corzhens, has good strategy ideas there. If I was going to clear it I'd suggest, Early season digging it all before the new seed gets a chance to establish its self. Get some help if its a big job. Good luck on clearing it up!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
Belgium
The really big weeds should be pulled out manually I think, for the others you can use a mixture of vinegar and dish washing liquid. We have also used a mixture of garlic, chili and water on the vegetable patch, it might work for your problem too. Good luck!

Reaction score
Country
United States
The vinegar won't hurt the soil or plants around where I spray or put it will it? Probably a silly question, but I read about using this but was afraid of hurting my other plants or turning the ground to acidic.

Reaction score
I agree what @Corzhens had said that getting a hired hand to pull the weeds is better safe than using chemically weed remover. In my home country in our garden we had a lawn that is well maintained by my mother and our hired gardener. He is pulling the weeds in our lawn just by hands and weekly he is pulling it away so that it will not multiply that easily. I think this is the best natural weed killer.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
13b
Country
Philippines
I agree what @Corzhens had said that getting a hired hand to pull the weeds is better safe than using chemically weed remover. In my home country in our garden we had a lawn that is well maintained by my mother and our hired gardener. He is pulling the weeds in our lawn just by hands and weekly he is pulling it away so that it will not multiply that easily. I think this is the best natural weed killer.

It's actually the idea of my husband. His main reason is to give people a sort of employment no matter how little. There used to be an old man here that does that but he had gone to the province so my husband is now hiring a boy for that chore. The boy said that the money we pay him is a big help to their finances since he gets a job every 2 weeks or so. And with the weeds? The garden is now spic and span.

Reaction score
It's actually the idea of my husband. His main reason is to give people a sort of employment no matter how little. There used to be an old man here that does that but he had gone to the province so my husband is now hiring a boy for that chore. The boy said that the money we pay him is a big help to their finances since he gets a job every 2 weeks or so. And with the weeds? The garden is now spic and span.

Well, you are absolutely right and from that simple task the money that we will use to pay for them at least we can be of help to those who are in need. And this is indeed a good deed at heart :)

Ask a Question