What Trees are a must have?

Reaction score
My family members all have different types of tress in the gardens, from apple trees to peach trees. I was wondering what trees you think are a must to have in your gardens? I would chose apple trees, because they always say that "an apple a day keeps the doctor away"; not only that, but I want my children to learn to eat their fruits, and this rhyme seems perfect to connect to reality.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
For me, there are many 'must have trees', because I simply love all of them. A garden without trees looks empty and sad. My favorite are poplars, because they always make me think about great things:) They're so inspiring! I also love oaks. They grow everywhere in my area anyway, so I'm very used to them.
My boyfriend always says that when we move in together, we will plant conifers in our garden, but I'm not sure if I like them:p I prefer trees with leaves:)

Reaction score
I too love all trees, but with limited space I would choose the "dual purpose" trees that can not only create a bit of shade but can also give you some fruit that you like. I am a fan of any of the bounty nature gives from apples to my unusual loquat tree. As much as people love palm trees in California, I would rather have a shorter fruit and shade producer.

Reaction score
It depends on your personal taste, for me a nice wisteria tree would be the way to go! A jacaranda tree would also be nice! but I'd go for the wisteria :)

Reaction score
When you said oak trees I imagined some supernatural and fantasy movies, they always have some sort of connection to oak trees, something is so magical about them. I don't think that I'd actually want a conifer tree in my backyard either; I don't have anything against them personally, just not my type. :p Of course, trees that provide a vast amount of shade are ideal for me, especially during the summer so I can host picnics and such. :) I just thought of another tree that I'd ideally want - the Japanese Cherry Blossom, it is gorgeous!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It depends on your personal taste, for me a nice wisteria tree would be the way to go! A jacaranda tree would also be nice! but I'd go for the wisteria :)
If they grew in my climate zone, they would be my 'must have' trees too!:D There is nothing more beautiful than a big wisteria or a few jacarandas growing in a garden:) I love them!

Reaction score
I would say a DWARF apple tree is a must have, as I do not have to get out a ladder every time I want to pick one!

I am an admirer of my parent's dwarf apple. It has four varieties grafted onto one tree, and each variety ripens at a different time. That gives the two of them an extra long harvest: about the time they have finished eating one variety, another variety gets ripe!

Reaction score
I love dwarf apple trees, dwarf plum trees, peach trees, and cherry trees. Also, I love the Japanese Maple trees. Their leaves are beautiful in the Fall. I do not care for any evergreen trees.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I like dwarf apple trees too. But although I love everything that is small and I always look for miniature varieties of my favorite plants, with trees it's different. I love when they're big and majestic. This is why poplars will always have the first place in my heart.
Aren't they gorgeous?:

rzeka-topole.jpeg

Reaction score
Yes, those poplars ARE wonderful! Whenever I am under big trees I feel so safe and so sheltered.

Was the picture taken near your home? It looks like a park.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Yes, those poplars ARE wonderful! Whenever I am under big trees I feel so safe and so sheltered.

Was the picture taken near your home? It looks like a park.
No, it's just a picture that I found. As far as I know, it was taken in Poland, but not by me. In my area, there are mostly very old and big oaks. You can see them wherever you look. They're magnificent:)
Big trees make me feel safe too:)

Reaction score
I was surprised to learn that many people feel claustrophobic around large trees or even when they are driving in the mountains. Logically speaking, a tree that has been growing for 30 years is not likely to fall on a person just because they walked up to it, and mountains tend to stay put unless the weather is terrible enough to make a land slide, but emotions are not logical. As one sufferer said "I KNOW that, but it is how I FEEL"!

Mountains and large trees shelter us from the icy winds of winter. Every old farm house on the plains has it's wind brake of trees.

Reaction score
I like dwarf apple trees too. But although I love everything that is small and I always look for miniature varieties of my favorite plants, with trees it's different. I love when they're big and majestic. This is why poplars will always have the first place in my heart.
Aren't they gorgeous?:

rzeka-topole.jpeg
These trees are beautiful; I've never seen them before. Where I live we have tons of pine trees and maple trees, but none of these. I would love to go up to one of them and examine their leaves, I've always found it fascinating how all trees have different leaf textures.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
These trees are beautiful; I've never seen them before. Where I live we have tons of pine trees and maple trees, but none of these. I would love to go up to one of them and examine their leaves, I've always found it fascinating how all trees have different leaf textures.

Oh:( I can't imagine my life without polars.
Here is a close-up of their leaves. They're rather small and, in my opinion, very pretty:

topola_simona_501.jpg

And here is another magnificent picture of poplars:D:

topole.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
South Africa
As a bonsai grower my favourite trees are Ficus (especially the indigenous South African ones), Maples and Olives, but I'm trying to grow some species that get small fruit. I could never choose just one as I like most trees, whether evergreen or deciduous. I'm not a big fan of confers though.

Ask a Question