How messy are birch trees actually?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
My landscaper is a big fan of river birches and is suggesting some for my yard. I read that they are a messy plant dropping twigs seeds and leaves all throughout the season. Since these trees will be planted near a deck and a walkway I’d rather not have to sweep every day. How much of a mess do they really make? Thanks!!

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forum, @Nj6964 !

If you don't like it, tell your landscaper. You're the boss. Why not go for an evergreen, a compact or even variegated one which won't spread out too much or take over? No such hassle of leaves everywhere ruining your decking.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
IMG_20180713_165150.jpg
3 and 4 on the left are river birch beauties on one side of the drive. See what mess they made during a heavy rainstorm?? Personally I like them for their beauty and they are not dense so other understory and even grass type plants get enough sun to live under them. Your advisor is wise. They will need consistent water though.
IMG_20180713_171929.jpg
IMG_20180713_172351.jpg

Last edited:

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
@DirtMechanic If I had that much land, I would plant fruit trees .. Stand there and eat from them. Or artistic conifer or acer or viburnum burkwoodii.

A majestic driveway though, DM! If it is planted near a decking area, there are concerns. But yours look fab, DM!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
@DirtMechanic If I had that much land, I would plant fruit trees .. Stand there and eat from them. Or artistic conifer or acer or viburnum burkwoodii.

A majestic driveway though, DM! If it is planted near a decking area, there are concerns. But yours look fab, DM!
We do, mainly plum, pear and persimmon and a crab apple. We removed the peaches. Fruit trees are a lot of work.

alp

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, some fruit trees are magnets for troubles. Peach trees with curly leaves.. cherry tree with fruits being kissed by evil and left with a cross at the bottoms of the fruits. Hazel nuts eaten before you can say hello! Need I say more! LOL!!

Reaction score
Country
United States
My landscaper is a big fan of river birches and is suggesting some for my yard. I read that they are a messy plant dropping twigs seeds and leaves all throughout the season. Since these trees will be planted near a deck and a walkway I’d rather not have to sweep every day. How much of a mess do they really make? Thanks!!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
No more than any other really. If you want to hate your choices plant an evergreen magnolia tree. They drop dragon scales for leaves, seemlingly all year long. And the cones are like hitting a rock with a lawnmower. The ratio of any tree is related to its dappled shade ration, and birchs do not steal the sun from the understory as bad as many do. Thus, because they have less up top, or it is spread out, the drop is similarly less. This is not a pine comment, just a generalized thought about maples and redbuds and cherries and even oaks and hickories etc.

Last edited:

Ask a Question