Heritage River Birch & October Glory Maple Friends?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
First time poster here, amazed at all the great info available. We live in Northeast NJ in the suburbs. We’re in the process of improving our property one small step at a time. This year it’s trees in the backyard.

We’re looking to plant 2 trees, 1 as a major shade provider in the middle of the yard, giving shade to a deck and the house eventually. The other for a little privacy near our side yard (we live on a corner)

My plan is currently to put a large (4-5” caliper) October glory in the middle and a 10’ tall heritage river birch near the side fence, about 20’ away.

Questions are, is 20’ enough for these trees not to shade one another or compete for water. Also, will the canopies begin to grow together eventually. The sun moves basically perpendicular between both trees so they should see equal amounts of sun even when grown. Any advice is much appreciated.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I just googled how big do each of these trees get. They both grow to 25 -35 foot wide canopies. So no, 20 feet is not enough.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
United States
I saw similar results when I searched. My question was more, is it an issue of 2 different trees canopies existing right next to one another? If they were both the same tree I wouldn’t be as concerned. Any thoughts?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8b
Country
United States
I saw similar results when I searched. My question was more, is it an issue of 2 different trees canopies existing right next to one another? If they were both the same tree I wouldn’t be as concerned. Any thoughts?
They will have different growth rates and as such one tree will overlap or hinder the other as far as sunshine goes. If they both grew at the same rate sunshine wouldn't be an issue. Both of these trees are tall at maturity so make sure there are no nearby power lines or rooftops that they may impede.

Ask a Question