How to use granular kelp for Strawberries?

Reaction score
Country
United States
So I got some kelp meal to make my own seaweed spray for my berry plants because it’s a lot cheaper than buying premade seaweed spray, but the website where I found a recipe for how much kelp meal to use with water, didn’t give any warning about it clogging my sprayer or watering can.😬I don’t know if I’ll be able to save my sprayer, and I had to take my watering can head off and just try to pour a little at a time, which didn’t work that well.

Any suggestions or ideas? I wonder if I could try grinding my meal in the blender to make it smaller?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Maybe you could put the feed through a sieve first, or tip it over the garden from a bucket?
I wouldn't chance messing up the blender as well :eek:

Another thought (from Zigs) In future, if you make up your feed by putting it in a hessian sack, then put that into a container full of water to soak it would get rid of the bits. :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United States
Maybe you could put the feed through a sieve first, or tip it over the garden from a bucket?
I wouldn't chance messing up the blender as well :eek:

Another thought (from Zigs) In future, if you make up your feed by putting it in a hessian sack, then put that into a container full of water to soak it would get rid of the bits. :)
I thought of sieving it through, but was afraid it wouldn’t get all the nutrients if the meal itself didn’t get on the plants. I guess I could make up a batch and let it soak before trying, though…

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Here, we make fertiliser from soaking Comfrey or Stinging nettles (Urtica dioica) and the idea is to soak whichever one we're using so that the nutrients finish up as a liquid. It usually takes at least a week before it's ready to use and it stinks horrible, but is good stuff. Once those nutients go into the water, the rest is rubbish and can go on the compost heap.
Alternatively, you can use kelp meal directly from the sack/container you bought it in to the soil around the plants, it doesn't HAVE TO be soaked in water first. That way might be even easier in future.
We use blood and bone fertiliser like that sometimes, and just apply a handful of the powder to the planting hole for new shrubs and trees etc.

Meadowlark

No N-P-K Required
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
old zone 8b/new zone 9a
Country
United States
I would make a tea...just add preferably rainwater to a bucket with a bunch of the meal and let it sit for a few days...presto a plant nutritious tea that can easily be applied foliar. The bottom stuff left over in the bucket would be great in a compost pile.

You could set up multiple buckets for a continuous supply.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The kelp powder I use doesn't have that problem, but it does recommend double dilution. First you put about two or three tablespoons in two liters of water and shake well. Then you dilute some of that liquid into the watering can, further diluting it about 100:1.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Change that original dilution to three tablespoons into 750ml or 1.6 pints. That is a black solution, and the second dilution brings the color down to a light brown.

Reaction score
Country
United States
The recipe I used say to soak the dry meal in water for a few hours, and then use 2 tsp of that afterwards per gallon of water.
If I were to soak it and then drain out the kelp, how much meal do you think I should put in a gallon of water to soak?

Reaction score
Country
Australia
The recipe I used say to soak the dry meal in water for a few hours, and then use 2 tsp of that afterwards per gallon of water.
If I were to soak it and then drain out the kelp, how much meal do you think I should put in a gallon of water to soak?
The recipe to use is the one on the packet.
The assumption is that the meal will dissolve completely in the water. There should be no residual to drain out. If I'm wrong, drain out the kelp and still use 2tsp per gallon.

Reaction score
Country
United States
There wasn’t a packet, they were selling the kelp 50 lb at a time and I only wanted a couple pounds which they measured out into a separate bag. It’s definitely not dissolving—I can drain out the kelp, I just want to make sure I’m letting it sit long enough that the water left behind will have enough of the kelp properties in it.

Reaction score
Country
Australia
Okay. I've never used actual kelp. It's best to have it weak and applied more often. Kelp isn't an official fertilizer. It's a tonic with lots of trace elements and potash. It acts to strengthen the plant and help it to fruit.
I would chop a bit with a knife and get it as fine as possible, soak that bit first and use it initially, while the rest is left to soak in buckets for as long as possible.
The first bit will have to be put through a fine sieve or muslin cloth to prevent clogging. The rest could be stirred daily for 2 weeks, and then allowed to settle and drain the top liquid off.

Ask a Question