Silver birch in clay soil?

Reaction score
I have a small silver birch tree that I rescued from the bargain bin of a DIY store a couple of years ago.

It is in a pot which is now far too small and dries out constantly in summer, last year it lost all of it's leaves on a couple of occasions during the summer and generally it wasn't looking too happy.

I'd like to plant it into the ground but the only spot I could fit it in is heavy, waterlogged clay. It's been very wet recently and there are puddles of water just where I would plant the tree. I don't know if this will be even worse for it?

Should I try planting it out or move it to a bigger pot?

Reaction score
There many different varieties of silver birch trees and most are very easy to grow and will grow in any soil and all kinds of climate - but as the majority are extremely rapid growers, which once they get going have shallow roots that can travel a considerable distance - I would suggest that you transplant yours into a larger pot rather than put it in the ground - as many people find that after a few years - they are longing to bring in a tree surgeon to cut them down, as they sincerely wish that they'd never put them in the ground - as not only are they extremely untidy messy trees to look after but very quickly become a birch tree forest - unless you are prepared to - on a weekly basis - remove all the baby birch tree shoots attached to the far reaching exposed roots.
So growing a birch tree in a pot would I think be preferable - as the pot will help - not only to restrict the growth and keep it more manageable but also let you enjoy the tree rather than begin to dislike it.:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I think I will look out for a bigger pot for it! My garden is only small and it sounds like it could really take over if I put it in the ground, and at the moment it is doing a good job, in it's pot, of standing in front of the garage and softening the look of the garage.

Reaction score
Thanks for the information, I think I will look out for a bigger pot for it! My garden is only small and it sounds like it could really take over if I put it in the ground, and at the moment it is doing a good job, in it's pot, of standing in front of the garage and softening the look of the garage.

You are welcome and it certainly seems to me - that you are making the right choice by transferring your birch tree to a larger pot - and a very wise one too - especially as you only have a small area for it to live in and I can well imagine it that it will continue to look very attractive - sitting in front of your garage softening the look in its new pot :)

Ask a Question