Yellow Sanguisorba doesnt exist but is there a suitable alternative ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am looking for tall plants, over 1.5 metres, to plant behind or with grasses, similar to Sanguisorba but with bottlebrush type flowers in yellow. The closest I can find is Thalictrum Flavum Glaucum with Chatto which rise to 1.5m and the pic shows small yellow flowers of the size I want on long thin stalks which would be ideal . But on looking at other pictures from other companies the same plants have flowers that are far larger, closer together and not on thin stalks. I know the camera can lie so can anyone tell me if this Chatto version does exist except in the first weeks of flowering as opposed to the more common version on all other sites
1714253575336.png
1714249334128.jpeg

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha! when glancing through the list, and reading your heading, my mind went straight to the Thalictrum you mentioned, and on investigating further, you got there before me :giggle:
The only other one I can think of is a daisy, and I cannot for the life of me remember its name at the moment.
Perennial planting is my ''thing'' too! (y) The blue Thalictrum is also a lovely plant.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
1714328114845.png
Craspedia globosa
1714328217158.png
1714329032289.png

Achillea creme de la creme might be worth a look too.
Middle pic is Verbascum

It has been known for me to cheat a little, and place big pots between plants, hidden by foliage to lift another plant to a higher level - just for the hell of it :giggle:

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ha! when glancing through the list, and reading your heading, my mind went straight to the Thalictrum you mentioned, and on investigating further, you got there before me :giggle:
The only other one I can think of is a daisy, and I cannot for the life of me remember its name at the moment.
Perennial planting is my ''thing'' too! (y) The blue Thalictrum is also a lovely plant.
You convinced me. I settled for the Thalictrum Hewitt Double and trying Phlomis russeliana
Turkish Sage in a par of the garden with a bit more sun. It also seems a paler yellow which is what I want rather than the more common luminous colours of a lot of flowers. Thanks

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good, glad you're sorted. That Achillea creme de la creme looks promising too. I have grown lots of the Phlomis, it's a tough one, but not so tall. Sometimes the trick of hiding big pots to lift them up works well, but for tougher jobs like phlomis I would use a bottomless bucket so the roots can escape. The bright yellows are rather easier to find.
Incidentally @cpp gardener is interested in ornamentals and perennials too, and has loads of good knowledge - he can't help being American :giggle: and he has a sense of humour .... I think 🥴
Most of the other gardeners here are primarily veggie growers....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Good, glad you're sorted. That Achillea creme de la creme looks promising too. I have grown lots of the Phlomis, it's a tough one, but not so tall. Sometimes the trick of hiding big pots to lift them up works well, but for tougher jobs like phlomis I would use a bottomless bucket so the roots can escape. The bright yellows are rather easier to find.
Incidentally @cpp gardener is interested in ornamentals and perennials too, and has loads of good knowledge - he can't help being American :giggle: and he has a sense of humour .... I think 🥴
Most of the other gardeners here are primarily veggie growers....
I am never sorted with gardening as I am relatively new and impatient having to wait a year to put right my mistakes. I am a painter and decorator by trade and can cover the "wrong " colour in an hour. With the garden I seem to replace half the plants every year.
I have bought both Russeliana and Bronze Flamingo Phlomis. The main problem I have is that there is no part of my garden that gets more than 4=5 hours of full sun a day. One side morning, the other afternoon as the sun drifts across as it is blocked by the house. I could plant them in buckets and move them from one side to the other every day but that would be a bit over the top ! Any advice ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have found that Phlomis is exceptionally easy whether it's in sun or shade, rain or drought. The best plants to stick with are the easy ones that don't mind where they are.
My main advice would be to stop worrying, and if you keep chatting on here, or with any other gardeners, you will soon get the hang of it. If you can upload some photo now and then it will probably help.
All gardens have shade sometimes and sun sometimes as the sun moves across the sky. Just like pets and children - you can mollycoddle them a bit too much.
I have also worked in painting, decorating and - back then, when it was fashionable artexing ceilings. Good work for a woman :giggle: but horticulture was much more enjoyable, so moved on to that.
Don't forget to set time aside to get the deckchair out and just sit and look and plan. Stop beating yourself up.
We could all benefit from 4 - 5 hours of sun - where is it?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
Oh Tetters, you bait me so!
Even over here in the Colonies finding something like you're looking for isn't easy. I like the Mullein (really like it) and I've never seen the Thalictrum, now I have to have it, and the only other idea I had is Gold Medallion yarrow although it's probably too bright. A crazy idea I have is to let mustard greens bolt and enjoy the flowers as a substitute. It makes the hillsides around here glow this time of year.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Yes, Yarrow is great, I did mention that I think, but the one called creme de la creme (Achillea) is a much paler creamy yellow. I grow lots of these, of various colours.
1714757864024.png
1714758132518.png
1714758072270.png
Bait you @cpp gardener 😳 I don't know what you mean 😇

Last edited:

Ask a Question