Japanese Boxwood Turning Yellow/Brown

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello,

We planted Japanese boxwood as a hedge for in our front yard about six months ago. In just the last few weeks, the top leaves have turned light green to yellow but feel very soft, almost like young leaves. Below this, there are some dry-feeling brownish-red leaves, and on the bottom are dark green leaves. Can anyone tell me what is happening with my boxwood? The weather has cooled down, but being in Southern California, there are no freezing temperatures. The weather dips down to 40 F at night and is usually 60-70 F in the daytime. I did cut back on the watering since we are no longer in the summer heat. I have looked online for answers and I can't identify the real issue. Is this under watering, root rot, boxwood blight?

Attachments

• IMG_2017.jpg
    IMG_2017.jpg
    371.3 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 5
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
It’s fairly typical new growth in winter for Japanese boxwood in Southern California. The brown leaves are the last ones grown before it got ‘cool’ and the green ones on the bottom are the most hardened. Once it actually warms up in a couple of months. You could use a liquid fertilizer sprayed on the leaves to help green them a little or just wait a few months and let them green up naturally.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United States
It is growing! Congrats! You did not kill it! Be careful with that fertilizer suggestion. Divide it into 4 parts and spread the fertilization over 4 month time with a good watering before and after. Not a rule you will find anywhere, just the observation that you will probably try too much fertilizer and hurt rather that help. Its not the talking to plants that really does the trick...its the watering whilst talking that is of more help.

Ask a Question