Websites, Apps and Tools for a New Gardener

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone! I recently started gardening and I'm loving it so far. I really want to learn more and grow (see what I did there?) in knowledge of the craft. Particularly, im interested in fruits and vegetables. Any good websites, apps and tools I should be aware of to learn and be successful? Thanks!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
Hi. :)

I've honestly learned more on this forum than anywhere else online! And I've gardened for 30+ years. There's a huge breadth of knowlege right here.

Essential knowlege required to be able to answer specific questions you may have: your location/USDA growing zone. Alaska or Hawaii or Iowa...all have drastically different conditions. ;)

What have you done so far in your garden? What are you growing? I just got all my veggies in the ground today. All I have to do now is mulch. But I'm pooped, and it's probably going to rain soon so that can wait. :)

MaryMary

Quite Contrary
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
Country
United States
I agree with Beth_B, you have found a great website right here! (y) If you already know your hardiness zone, then you can enter it in your user profile page (here) If you don't know your zone, click the green 6 telling you my hardiness zone, and it will take you to a map. (y)

Personally, I like to know hardiness zone, and where you live, partly because I believe insects would vary from place to place. It might make it easier for someone to "name that pest."
( :oops: And partly because I am a very curious person! :whistle: )

Not knowing what tools you already have... I guess it depends on the size of your garden, and how much hard labor you're willing to do. ;) Hmm... a shovel, rake, and trowel would be my bare minimum. You'll probably want a wheelbarrow or small yard cart. Some kind of padding to put under your knees (or sit on) when planting or weeding. Maybe a rototiller, or a mini-tiller. Some people might like a hoe, but I like my cultivator better. (I tried the garden weasel, but I'm too short to use it comfortably. :( It lives in the shed.)

My cultivator is like this one.

upload_2017-5-29_0-9-33.jpeg

The only other thing I can think of - if you like to read, I highly recommend
Rodale's Illustrated Encyclopedia of Gardening and Landscaping Techniques.

Welcome to the forum! :)

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks for the info, y'all! I definitely need to snag a cultivator it sounds like. Also, I've added my location and hardiness zone for future reference.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5b
Country
United States
You live in a lovely part of the country! I have a cultivator that's three sharp prongs on one side, and a narrow blade on the other. Great for loosening up soil and hacking out dandelions and stubborn clumps of crab grass. Very handy!

Reaction score
Country
United States
Thanks Beth! It's definitely a wonderful place to be. Starting a garden makes it even better.

Ask a Question