Hello everyone from cold germany

Reaction score
Country
Germany
Hello everyone. My name is Chris and I started indoor gardening in my flat - due to the lack of a real garden - in the city I live in. Besides some hibiscus and a banana-plant, I started experimenting with tomatoes on my window bench last year. This wasn't very succesfull (1/2 tomato harvested in one year), but this year I did grow ~20 tomatoes with this basic setup. Right now, I am looking to advance this hobby this year a bit und will probably switch to hydro (instead of soil) as well.

Looking forward to have some interesting discussion with you guys.

Kindest,
Chris

zigs

Cactus Grower, Kent.
Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United Kingdom
Welcome to the forums :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
5A
Country
Canada
Welcome to the forum! Hydroponic growing is certainly interesting and I look forward to following your progress. We all love pictures so whenever you have a chance please share :)

Reaction score
Showcase(s):
Hardiness Zone
6a
Country
United States
15e3a85db23c7072eaaba533acb.gif

Nice to have you with us. It reminds me of the saying: "grow where YOU are planted." You are applying this to your lack of garden space and doing it in your flat. Hope you have a bumper crop of tomatoes this year!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9a
Country
United States
This thread prompted me to see just how far north Germany is, using Berlin as my marker, which ~52 degrees latitude; that's further north than the most northern part of the contiguous US, which is a place in Minnesota, at ~49 degrees latitude.

I then looked at the whole of Europe and noticed that much of it is much further north than I realized and the most southern point is at about 34 degrees, which is about equal to the border between South Carolina and North Carolina.

...My condolences...:p:D

Reaction score
Country
United States
Hello everyone. My name is Chris and I started indoor gardening in my flat - due to the lack of a real garden - in the city I live in.
Kindest,
Chris

HELLO: I just joined the forum today. I was stationed in Mannheim for 2 years. Learned a very few words of German. All the young German guys we hung with wanted us to only speak English. They wanted the practice as most of them wanted to come to America. It wasn't too different weather-wise than Indiana, but WOW, what an eye opener living in a different part of the world. HEY, hope you have a great year growing veggies.

Reaction score
Country
United States
Welcome to the forums Jesse. :)
HI: I don't know how cold it is in Germany. The weather, when I was stationed there, was much like Indiana in the winter. I see your location as Scotland and I'm sure that is just as cold - if not colder.

The thermometer was at 5.1 degrees F when I got up to let the cat out this morning and the windchill factor put that temp to a Minus 5 degrees F. I just turned on the furnace and jumped back in bed and slept until 8:00 AM as there was nothing major to do today.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
8a
Country
United Kingdom
Hi @Jesse Glessner :)

I originally came from south-east England and have lived here in the Highlands of Scotland at the other end of Britain for nearly eighteen months. Temperatures here have been low and the whole of Britain has been having a long cold winter. Up here temperatures have rarely risen above 4C/39F dropping as low as -9C/15F since the beginning of November and we are about to have our fourth snowfall. Last winter was much milder with the temperature averaging about 8C/46F and no snow worth mentioning. This area of Scotland was often under snow in winter many years ago but with climate change in more recent years it is a rarity now.

I hadn't realised how much your temperature drops, imagining your area to be reasonably warm during the winter months with better temperatures than we have here. What is your average temperature for summer please?

Ask a Question