Hanging basket garden

Reaction score
I love to have a hanging garden. I was watching some video today and thinking I really need one. I am waiting for my fixtures to arrive and in spring I will have my own little hanging baskets.
HangingBasket1_1000.jpg

12_17_63_web.jpg
begonia_hanging_basket_pink_profusion.jpg

begonia_hanging_basket_white_chantilly.jpg
hangingbasket_verbena250sq.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love hanging gardens too. I once grew an ivy in a hanging flowerpot, it looked very pretty and it was quite big. Hanging flowerpots are great idea when you don't have enough space for new plants on your windowsill:p

style_hanging_garden5.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Maddie, it looks magical! I love it!:D
I really like when street lamps are decorated with flowers growing in hanging flowerpots:

LeavenworthBavarianVillageHangingBasketphotocreditstarmist1.jpg

BID_flowers_pw_6-21.jpg

Awards-Wokingham-feature.jpg

Reaction score
Hmm.. they do look so charming... I wish all street lamps looked like that .. what a wonderful place this world would be.. Flower gardens in mid air..
I truly think that the hydroponic glass garden indoors is like a fairy tale... so dreamy and romantic.. Amazing what a little imagination could do to a dull home.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I have been thinking of hanging baskets to have more growing space and to get food plants away from certain pests. I almost bought a hanging basket of strawberries last spring. I would need to construct something like a pergola to be able to have a place to hang everything though.

Reaction score
I have been thinking of hanging baskets to have more growing space and to get food plants away from certain pests. I almost bought a hanging basket of strawberries last spring. I would need to construct something like a pergola to be able to have a place to hang everything though.
Wow, I would like to have a basket of strawberries hanging from above.. it would be so lovely to see them in fruit.. the green and the red do look so pretty. I have been trying to get myself a strawberry plant for sometime.. but it does not seem to be available.. here.. I know that there are growers in this area but the nurseries don't seem to have them. I really have to make some personal enquires.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maddie, you might be able to order the plants or even grow them from seed. Once you find them, they make little runner babies so if you bring some indoors when the weather becomes too hot or too cold you may be able grow them perpetually. Don't quote me on that though.

Reaction score
Maddie, you might be able to order the plants or even grow them from seed. Once you find them, they make little runner babies so if you bring some indoors when the weather becomes too hot or too cold you may be able grow them perpetually. Don't quote me on that though.
Channel since they are not native to this soil it is harder growing them here from seeds.. I could always try.. I just found a American collaboration company here that might supply the seedlings..It would be difficult to shift the plants that I already have (nearly hundred) to our new home. It does seems like a herculean task.. I wouldn't trust the packers and movers with my plants.. LOL

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That is a difficult situation; when I had to move last year, not once, but twice, I handled the plants myself because I didn't trust anyone else to do it. No one else cares for your things the way you do.

With strawberries you may have to amend the soil, but you compost so that should not be too difficult to do. If there is a garden center near your home it should carry a variety of soils and growing mediums.

I always thought they would be difficult to grow until I saw someone do it in the backyard with seemingly little effort. There's a big strawberry festival every year not far from me in a place called Pontchatoula. Strawberries are pretty plentiful here, so we're lucky.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I've found a picture of strawberries growing in hanging flowerpots - it looks wonderful - and so tempting...strawberries are delicious:D

botanico-lets-grow-3-tiered-strawberry-planter-1.jpg

Reaction score
We're probably going to be moving in a few months and once we get settled, I'm determined to have a garden and I'd love a hanging pot (or two) of strawberries. I'm going to focus on planting things we can eat. Since I'm also most likely going to be homeschooling, I think this would be a wonderful thing for him to learn and maybe even expand the foods he eats.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Sunflower, you should read up on the Edible School Yard. It's a great program started by a chef that teaches kids about food. There are opportunities to combine lesson plans for math and science and even history with an edible garden.

@Claudine, strawberries are indeed delicious! Would you believe I refused to eat them when I was younger? I didn't like the seeds on them, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Claudine, strawberries are indeed delicious! Would you believe I refused to eat them when I was younger? I didn't like the seeds on them, lol.

Would you believe I hated tomatoes as a child?:p It was because my mother doesn't eat them and I wanted to be like her. I'm so glad I discovered how yummy they are!:D

Reaction score
ChanellG, I will look in to that, thank you so much. Anything that helps him to learn and hopefully expand his tastes would be a good thing. :) I've always loved fruit, and love the thought of having it close to year round in my own yard.

Claudine, I only like tomatoes if they're slightly green and crunchy. I love them plucked fresh from the vine that way. So good. :D

Ask a Question