Hanging basket garden

Reaction score
I understand how you feel Claudine, but look at it this way, if pruning your roses makes them healthier and live longer, then you're definitely doing them a favor. I have had the same thought when I prune my plants at home but more often than not, the clippings I will place in water and grow another plant. This includes plants with stems as well. I bought one Spineless Yucca, about 6 years ago, and from that one plant I have 4 others.

The one pictured below is not mine but my original Yucca is about half this size.. most people don't know it, but you can root these in water as well, it just takes a little longer and you have to make sure the water is fresh. About once every 3-4 weeks change the water and before long you will see roots. The same applies with the Dracaena Marginata. I've turned one into several plants, so pruning doesn't bother me too much ..

51231n8_20.jpeg

Reaction score
I agree Claudine, and that would be my concern as well. Plants can get a bit heavy, especially as they grow. Also, when you water a plant, that makes it a little heavier. I once had a philodendron, hanging from a vaulted ceiling, in an apartment I lived in, years ago. The plant was a little over 6 feet long, very healthy and beautiful. It got to the point where I needed to re-pot the plant. I purchased a bigger pot, a large S-hook for the ceiling, borrowed a ladder from the office. I re-potted the plant, climbed the latter, installed the jumbo s-hook, then hung the plant.

About 10 minutes later, while in the bedroom, I heard a soft crash. Ran back in the living room and the plant had crashed to the floor, leaving a nice size hole in the ceiling. The crash was "soft" because the leaves were so thick and long, the plant sort of broke its own fall. However, the plant actually went into shock immediately after the fall and never recovered, even after new soil and a new pot. This plant literally went into shock because all the leaves on the plant were vibrating. I kid you not, the leaves were VIBRATING. I had never seen that before and to this day, I've never seen it again.

A couple of years ago, I read the book, "The Secret Life of Plants," and it explained how plants are much more alive than we think they are. It made me understand what occurred, and why my philodendron, 20 years earlier, went into shock.

That is the craziest thing, a vibrating plant. That reminds me of a news video I saw about scientists who put subterranean microphones near the roots of some plants and picked up some faint vibrations that made it sound like the plants were trying to communicate with each other.

Also, isn't it smart the way plants use humans and animals for transportation? Every time I pull a sticker weed out of my foot, I think "Nice try." Meanwhile, who knows how long that seed was attached to me and how far I walked with it before I pulled it out of my foot?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I understand how you feel Claudine, but look at it this way, if pruning your roses makes them healthier and live longer, then you're definitely doing them a favor. I have had the same thought when I prune my plants at home but more often than not, the clippings I will place in water and grow another plant. This includes plants with stems as well. I bought one Spineless Yucca, about 6 years ago, and from that one plant I have 4 others.

The one pictured below is not mine but my original Yucca is about half this size.. most people don't know it, but you can root these in water as well, it just takes a little longer and you have to make sure the water is fresh. About once every 3-4 weeks change the water and before long you will see roots. The same applies with the Dracaena Marginata. I've turned one into several plants, so pruning doesn't bother me too much ..

I grow some roses from the clippings too!:D It's so wonderful about the plants - you start with one and you can make a few others from it. My little, little roses from clippings are still so young, I hope they'll survive the winter.

Reaction score
I just thought that this would make a nice hanging garden by itself in the middle of your home . Maybe I need to look at something like this for my balcony.
chandelier.jpg

This is so beautiful.

living-lamp-the-green-light-grows-its-own-plant.jpeg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love this thing in the first picture, Maddie. It's so unique, it's not something you see in every home.
The second picture looks very romantic:)

This is so pretty and natural:

hanging-gardens2.jpg

Reaction score
Very unique idea to grow the plants in a bag. I would assume they are lined in plastic with maybe a hole or two in the bottom for the water to drain. Novel idea nonetheless. Looks like strawberries at the bottom, not sure what the top two plants are.

Reaction score
I love those ideas too.. I am seriously hoping to get something like that done. I was at a friends place and saw the lucky bamboo she had, I thought may be I would use them in a design like the second one. These plants do not need too much light anyways.

The canvas bag thing would be better on the ground than as a hanging bag I guess.. They really look quite huge and heavy. Strawberries on the window would make a pretty picture I am sure.. canvas bag or not :) I love strawberries.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Look at this stunning picture, it's a hanging garden taken to a whole new level:

FlowerGarden.jpg

Personally, I love how it looks but I can't imagine watering all of these plants:p

Reaction score
I love this too, It would be like paradise to be surrounded by flowers .. but the practicality of this tires me out even at the very sight of it.. Would be great if someone other than me took care of this garden .. LOL :)

Ask a Question