Hanging basket garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, I just lined a basket with paper and put four sprouted garlic cloves in it! It's not hanging, but I guess you could say it's a similar concept. I'm trying to locate the three tier metal hanging baskets I had to see if I can use those for something.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
You should take a photo, I'm sure it looks great!:) I like baskets, there is something very warm about them, they're just so natural. I'd like to have a nice hanging basket, I would grow a miniature rose in it - it would be really convenient because I'm running out of space on my windowsill:p

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I will, Claudine. I did finally take another photo of the begonia, though. I had to prune it back over the summer, I think it was getting too much sun. At least now I know that when that redness around the edges of the leaves becomes more pronounced it means it needs more water. This is how it looks now, though I damaged it a bit trying to protect it in the cold weather the other night.
IMG_0045.JPG

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Wow, it's a very beautiful begonia!:D It's so big and I love the red flowers, they look so delicate and pretty. I'm curious, are these flowers fragrant? I've never grown begonias so I don't know.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
You, I don't think I've ever noticed any fragrance from them. The only one of my flowering plants I have noticed it from is the ginger. It smells so good, kind of like honeysuckle and you notice it immediately before you even realize the flowers have opened. So yummy!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This sounds so good! I love fragrant flowers and I love sweet scents. Maybe I should grow ginger then:) . Only one of my miniature roses has fragrant flowers:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
This is an ornamental variety of ginger, not the edible one, Claudine. I don't think they all have a fragrance. If you want something that smells pretty, you should consider growing Jasmine. Gardenias are lovely also, but Jasmine will have you floating through the house in a perfumed rapture, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
This is even better because I hate the taste of ginger:p . I once tried to drink tea with ginger and it was awful. So ornamental variety would be great for me, especially if it has fragrant flowers:D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
But ginger is so good for you, Claudine! LOL

I am not a huge fan of it on it's own, though I like ginger ale, but it's used a lot in Asian cooking and I like a lot of those foods. If I have a cold or a stomach issue I will get past the taste though, it's completely worth it. Next time try adding honey or lemon.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Honey is too delicious to mix it with awful ginger, lol:p

These are so cute, I'd grow herbs in them:

doniczka-wiszaca-flower-pot.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those are really cute, Claudine! I was thinking of putting up a rod like that and hanging plants from it. For now I will settle for a shelf and see if I still want to hang stuff later, because then I would have to figure out what to do about drips.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm running out of space on my windowsill so I'm desperate, I have to look for some hanging flower pots if I want to grow more miniature roses...and of course I always want more and more of them:p
Hanging flower pots are so beautiful:)

7024752-hanging-flowerpots-with-blooming-various-viola-flowers.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, would it be possible for you to put up a shelf under the window? Maybe you could create a mantle of sorts that you could place against the wall? Even a board laid across stacked crates or blocks would do.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Putting up a shelf under the window is impossible because I have my tiny table and chairs there. It's my place where I drink tea every morning:) . But I'm thinking about putting some extra shelves next to the window - I'm just not sure if my roses will get enough sunlight there.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Maybe you can put one up higher? My window is up high enough where it wouldn't be a problem and I don't plan to ever sit in that area. There are a number of options that could work though, depending on the size of your window and table. I'm sure you'll figure out something that works.

Ask a Question