Hanging basket garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
@Claudine, I wouldn't eat tomatoes as a child either! They were too slimy (still not crazy about that part, lol) I wouldn't eat spaghetti because I thought the acid in the tomatoes gave me digestive issues.

Later after I had marinara in vegetable dishes I realized it was the meat! After that I started making a distinction between meat sauce and spaghetti sauce/marinara because for most people the two are synonymous.

Now I like fresh tomatoes in salads and other dishes and I find tomato really enhances the flavor of certain foods.

@Sunflower, a few years ago I discovered fried green tomatoes. I have to say they are pretty tasty; I've never had them raw.

Reaction score
That is a difficult situation; when I had to move last year, not once, but twice, I handled the plants myself because I didn't trust anyone else to do it. No one else cares for your things the way you do.

With strawberries you may have to amend the soil, but you compost so that should not be too difficult to do. If there is a garden center near your home it should carry a variety of soils and growing mediums.

I always thought they would be difficult to grow until I saw someone do it in the backyard with seemingly little effort. There's a big strawberry festival every year not far from me in a place called Pontchatoula. Strawberries are pretty plentiful here, so we're lucky.

I thought Strawberries are easy to grow... since I have read so much about them. all of us love strawberries..I will try and get some baby plants if I can. They look enticing when they hang down the pots all ripe and juicy.

For now may I can do with some cherry tomatoes growing from a hanging basket.. don't they look delicious?

900045_l.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
They do look delicious, and huge! Is this your own plant? It seems to be sitting on some kind of pedestal, which I find interesting. I'm going to have to look for some organic cherries the next time I am at the market. I wish I had thought to start a plant before summer ended. The only way to get one going now would be to do it from seed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
@Sunflower, a few years ago I discovered fried green tomatoes. I have to say they are pretty tasty; I've never had them raw.

How do they taste?:) I've been very curious about this ever since I read Fried Green Tomatoes by Fannie Flagg (a very lovely book).
Here is another beautiful hanging flowerpot:

Metal_Hanging_Flower_Pot_Holders.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine that hanger is soooooo cute! I have to have something like that! It's official, lol, we are all obsessed!

The fried green tomatoes have a subtle taste. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I guess it's sort of like eating squash or maybe even eggplant. Obviously they are not sweet, but they don't have any bitterness that I remember.

I think the way people season them probably has a lot to do with the tasted after they are cooked (eggwash/batter). I may have to try making them myself next year. I first had them at a party and then I had them again at a restaurant.

A popular way to serve them here is as an appetizer topped with shrimp and a remoulade sauce. I think they would be good with the dynamite sauce you get at sushi restaurants. In fact, I have to make a point of trying that, lol.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
P.S. I can't remember if I ever read the book, but I watched the movie a few times. Have you seen it? I bought the book after the movie came out because people were talking about how the two were so different and all the things the director had changed.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine that hanger is soooooo cute! I have to have something like that! It's official, lol, we are all obsessed!
LOL, yes we are. But it's great, isn't it? Gardening is wonderful:D It's a very pleasurable obsession:D

The fried green tomatoes have a subtle taste. I'm not sure how to describe it, but I guess it's sort of like eating squash or maybe even eggplant. Obviously they are not sweet, but they don't have any bitterness that I remember.

I'm not sure why but I always imagined they're sweet. I think I'll have to cook some on my own and try them. I hope it won't be a disappointment:p

Reaction score
We cut up green tomatoes into four and saute them with salt and chilly flakes. We add a bit of lemon juice at the end.. Does taste good... this is for those days when you are bored of eating the regular stuff. this is not unhealthy as the fried stuff.. :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
That sounds interesting, Maddie. I never see green tomatoes at the store when i'm out shopping; I wonder where people here get them from. I'll have to keep an eye out from now on.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Claudine, I tried to find a review of fried green tomatoes, thinking a food critic might better describe them. What I came across is something that you might find just as interesting: http://southernfood.about.com/od/tomatoes/a/green_tomatoes.htm

Thank you for sharing! It's very interesting. I'm definitely going to eat fried green tomatoes some day:D
I don't want this post to be off topic:p so here are beautiful pictures of hanging flowerpots, I find them very inspirational:

WEB1103_PLANTS_05.jpg

kule2.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Those metal ones are neat, Claudine. I bet you could do something similar with a simple Christmas ornament. I wonder if plants would be okay in metal containers outdoors. They would certainly heat up like black plastic, but would they heat up too much?

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I'm afraid Christmas ornaments are too delicate, a bauble would probably break if I filled it with soil. But I'm sure it would look very pretty:)
I have mixed feelings about metal containers - they look pretty but I doubt if they're good for the plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Claudine, I think if the bauble had a netted sling it might hold up okay, but it shouldn't be any more fragile than the light bulbs we've all been coveting.

I have mixed feelings about metal also. I have a few things in coffee and food cans right now, though I don't know how long those will last out doors before they start to rust. I was thinking a stainless steel bowl or pot could work with gravel at the bottom the way you would plant in a glass jar.

If this were Facebook, I could tag Taskeinc and he could tell us if it might be feasible or not. People use galvanized tubs, I don't see why a metal container would be bad for a plant.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
It depends on the weather I guess. In my country during winter metal container would be too cold and it might damage the roots... but I don't know:p
Isn't this basket lovely?

159f_ogrodek-zdjecia_1_jpg_rosliny-wiszace_main.jpg

Ask a Question