Glass jar garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Oh, sorry, I guess I forgot! It's really tall, I'm going to have to find another home for it soon. My ginger just flowered as well. I may try and start some zinnias indoors; I'd like to have more flowers growing.

IMG_0178.JPG

Reaction score
Wow that is a nice huge red ribbed flower... Thanks for posting.. Now all I have in my garden is geraniums in bloom.. just one or two here and there. Even the carnations aren't flowering this time.. maybe I need to feed the plants some more.
I can see your ginger poking out from beneath the flower.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow that is a nice huge red ribbed flower... Thanks for posting.. Now all I have in my garden is geraniums in bloom.. just one or two here and there. Even the carnations aren't flowering this time.. maybe I need to feed the plants some more.
I can see your ginger poking out from beneath the flower.

Yep, that's it; I didn't notice it was visible until I was posting the photo. That is the larger one (container) of the two. They both need to be thinned out, but I need more containers. I don't want to put them in the ground because they will spread like mad.

Also, my dad gave them to me when he thinned the plants in his yard; he lost his to frost a couple years ago and I think mine being in pots is what saved them.

I want to get some geraniums as well as hydrangea and blue irises.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
ChanellG, this hibiscus in bloom looks so lovely, I really like the color. It's wonderful to see some flowers, even though it's only a picture. I miss spring so much. I guess I should start growing something that would bloom during winter - if only I had more space for plants:(

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
ChanellG, this hibiscus in bloom looks so lovely, I really like the color. It's wonderful to see some flowers, even though it's only a picture. I miss spring so much. I guess I should start growing something that would bloom during winter - if only I had more space for plants:(

Thanks, Claudine! It's so nice to be greeted by my flowers when I return home and they are a nice surprise when I open the door to go out and discover something else has bloomed.

Here is an interesting picture I found while searching the www for planters..

glassbohemianinterior.jpg

Maddie, when I look at this one all I can say is "Wow!" That's a lot of hangers; it's kind of overwhelming!

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
Here is an interesting picture I found while searching the www for planters..

glassbohemianinterior.jpg

I love it! It looks like something made by a gardening-obsessed wife of a scientist or a chemist:p . It's strange but also really unique:D

Reaction score
I love it! It looks like something made by a gardening-obsessed wife of a scientist or a chemist:p . It's strange but also really unique:D
I love it too... strange but since it is glass it doesn't overwhelm you all that much.. despite the number of glass vases there.. :D

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I love it too... strange but since it is glass it doesn't overwhelm you all that much.. despite the number of glass vases there.. :D

Yes, it's a lot of glass vases, but I think I could have something like this in my dream house. It looks very interesting.

This is quite cute, glass is such a subtle decoration:

DSC02116.jpg

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7B
I really like the idea of growing the herbs in the glass jars, and I have some extra ones laying around that I have saved for something, and never used. I think they will be ideal for the herbs. I also saved some plastic 2 liter bottles and was going to make a planter out of them, and I am thinking that maybe one of the self watering planters would be the best way to use these bottles.
I have a few basil that are coming up, and they should be perfect for the jars.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I still don't have the drainage material to do this and I don't buy much stuff in jars so I almost never have any available for repurposing, but once I am better organized I may start collecting them from friends and sitting them inside decorative clay pots. I think this might be better than having the roots exposed to light and I would use the jars for bulb plants.

Reaction score
I just tried the self-watering 2 liter thing today, I'm excited to see how it goes. I also have some old jars. I would like to try growing in the jars. I have seen many videos and such of people having an enormous amount of success with both. They seem like they would be good for people with limited space.

Reaction score
One of the fascinating things you'll see when you have a glass jar garden is that the roots grow extremely fast, almost as if they take on a life of their own; a miniature ecosystem of roots and plants. I'm going to take a picture of one that I started a few months ago, maybe 5-6 months ago, and now the roots have just about covered the entire container. I'll put the before and after pictures side by side.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I just tried the self-watering 2 liter thing today, I'm excited to see how it goes. I also have some old jars. I would like to try growing in the jars. I have seen many videos and such of people having an enormous amount of success with both. They seem like they would be good for people with limited space.

I want to try the self-watering bottle planters also. I have to organize my supplies and borrow a drill (tried putting a hole in a plastic cap yesterday to no avail.) I plan to use the bottles as a temporary measure to deal with excess and plants I will be giving away.

Reaction score
I want to try the self-watering bottle planters also. I have to organize my supplies and borrow a drill (tried putting a hole in a plastic cap yesterday to no avail.) I plan to use the bottles as a temporary measure to deal with excess and plants I will be giving away.

I tried the simpler method that has the water at the bottom, with the towel and such. I do want to try the little tower type. Where they're drilled and the water falls from one to another. A hanging bottle garden seems like it would be fairly attractive.

Ask a Question