Glass jar garden

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Wow that is a nice huge red ribbed flower... Thanks for posting.. Now all I have in my garden is geraniums in bloom.. just one or two here and there. Even the carnations aren't flowering this time.. maybe I need to feed the plants some more.
I can see your ginger poking out from beneath the flower.

Maddie, I just took a geranium cutting from my mom's plant yesterday - wish me luck! There was a piece that had gotten knocked off that is all green stem that I put in water, and another piece with some brown stem - both are in a container with aspirin. Her plant suddenly grew to what seems like six times the size it was a few months ago.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
I tried the simpler method that has the water at the bottom, with the towel and such. I do want to try the little tower type. Where they're drilled and the water falls from one to another. A hanging bottle garden seems like it would be fairly attractive.

Not sure what you mean by "water at the bottom with the towel." Can you elaborate? Or even better, do you have a photograph you can share?

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by "water at the bottom with the towel." Can you elaborate? Or even better, do you have a photograph you can share?

It is like the picture you posted on the second page, though the towel is going through the opening of the bottle. One end of the towel is in the water and the under is under the dirt. So the roots can take as they need from the towel.

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Okay, now I am really confused, LOL. I've scrolled the page a few times and the only picture I posted was one of my hibiscus in bloom. If you're talking about the graphic on page 1 for the 2 Liter soda bottle planter, that isn't a towel -- it's wicking, as in a candle wick. You can make your own wick with yarn or twine.

One of the tutorials I saw recently said you could even use acrylic yarn, but I would stick to cotton, and I would make a braid so the wick would be thicker. Here is a step by step guide with photos: http://skruben.blogspot.com/2012/03/how-to-self-watering-seed-starter-pots.html

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
7a
Country
Poland
I found a really interesting picture:

glass-jar-diy-terranium.jpg

It's so amazing that the plant can live in a jar like this, isn't it? And it looks very pretty! But I still prefer when my plants are free and grow in fresh air:)

Reaction score
I use jars for small plants that are not ready to go outside in the garden. I keep them in jars until they are strong enough to be planted outside :)

Reaction score
Hardiness Zone
9b
Country
United States
Its not something that I have ever done but I think its something worth trying, very cool looking!

Isn't it? I'm sure it's a bit challenging to get the humidity and other conditions just right for the plants, but I'd love to attempt some kind of glass container garden at some point. My schedule has gotten too busy to take on any new plant projects - in fact, my poor plants have basically been fending for themselves of late :-(

Reaction score
I like the crystal jars idea, just today I got to see some glass jars with sme moss growing inside it. I thought it was a great gift idea:

diy-terrarium-plants-home-decorations-eco-gifts-2.jpg

jar-plant-terrarium-lovely-creative-idea.jpg

I love terrariums :love:

Reaction score
How beautiful. Who knew you could do so much gardening with a simple glass jar? I've never tried a glass jar garden. I may try it. It doesn't look that difficult to do, and it sure is pretty.

Reaction score
I love these. I am always trying to find new ways to grow things in my house during the cold blah winter months. I HAVE to be growing something year around or I go crazy. These ideas are great and I can't wait to try them. I have plants growing in 2 liter bottles all around my house right now like the ones mentioned. They are great and really work. My peppers sprouted really fast.

Ask a Question